How To: Flush Power Steering

Place a tube over the hose (I just used a garden hose because I was tired and lazy) and run the other end of that hose to a container to catch your old fluid. Make sure you lay out some shop towels under the resevoir, that way fluid won't drip on your alternator. Once you get the hose off, plug the inlet with something...I used a small piece of 4gauge speaker wire.

104_0411.jpg

Once you've done all that, just fill up the resevoir to the top and start your car up....as soon as it starts up shut it off immediately. (Everytime you start your car up some of the old fluid will exit your system through that hose you attached and enter the catch container). Get out and add more DexronIII fluid to your resevoir till it's full then start it up and shut it off again. Keep doing that until you get all the old fluid out. After all the old fluid is out, just reassemble everything and fill up your resevoir with more fresh fluid. Start your car up, keep the cap to the resevoir off and slowly turn your steering wheel all the way left till it stops then all the way to the right (do this a few times)....this is to help get any air bubbles out. Reinstall cap and check fluid level...done.

• 11 months later...