Torque Converter Going Bad

geneauf

Hi Guys

I bought a Lexus SC400 with 95000 miles. I got a major tune up done.

How do you know if the torque converter goes bad

On my car when I remove my feet from the accelerator and push back on the accelerator, I can hear the transmission re-engaging, and making a noise knock knock. Could it be my torque converter?

The gears change perfectly.

Thanks for your replies

• 9 years later...

We have a 1990 ES-250 that has under 130,000 miles. Today when I started it (cold) and put it in gear, something made a god-awful sound near the left front wheel well or the rear of the engine. It sounds like rocks banging around in a blender. We're wondering if a blade got loose inside the torque converter. Any other reports of this and if anyone has other ideas?

My other-half is a mechanic and he is certain it is not the engine, which continues to purr like a kitten. Thanks in advance, J&J

• 1 month later...

We have a 1990 ES-250 that has under 130,000 miles. Today when I started it (cold) and put it in gear, something made a god-awful sound near the left front wheel well or the rear of the engine. It sounds like rocks banging around in a blender. We're wondering if a blade got loose inside the torque converter. Any other reports of this and if anyone has other ideas?

My other-half is a mechanic and he is certain it is not the engine, which continues to purr like a kitten. Thanks in advance, J&J

Well, just over $3,000 later and my car is back. It had its 120k mile transmission oil change at 117k, only 7,000 miles ago. Here's what failed but no one knows why.

Julie

TR-1_zps968a428d.jpg