Leaking windshield. Has anyone experienced?

raines

Anybody experience a leaking front windshield when it rains or washing car? Mine is right over the steering wheel. Water hits right between my legs 8O every time. I carry a chammy everywhere I go now. I noticed that there is more exposed rubber material (a bump) on the inside at that spot. Sounds like a factory defect I'd like to report, but want to know if anyone has experienced first. THX.

i have heard this b4 ...........but i dont remember where...hmmmmmmm,is this a new car,if it is its not a problem its a defect from the factory if the car is reasonably old however,you can bet its had a new windshield fitted......and baddly,sorry i cannot be of more help......but i have defo heard it b4 somewhere

mat

I've not had this problem on a Lexus, but on a previous car after a new windshield was fitted there was the TINIEST gap in the seal - water would pour in - eventually fixed it with some glass bonding sealant.

Not sure if a new windshield was put in, but pretty sure if it was done, it would be at the dealer. According to records, last owner was meticulous about bringing to dealer for everything.

What's the usual process- would they need to reinstall new windshield to reseal?

dealers are not infalable.......they to can get it wrong.

i know that a IS200 windshield needs renewing if it needs resealing........however some good glaziers can remove bonded glass without breaking it 8O .....i think the easiest option........is if its anoying you that mch...break the glass and claim on your cover,after exploring all avenues

mat

speak to a dealer first .see what they have to say

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

What year is your car? And more specifically, what type of car is it? Certain model years of the LS have been prone to a tiny leak of the sunroof that comes in around the map lights, which can run along the headliner and drip down from the sunshade. But, without knowing what year your car is, or what kind, it's impossible to offer possible solutions.

To test where your leak might be coming from, pour some water along the top seam of your windshield, then check if it leaks. If not, do the same with the sunroof. If it leaks, check that the drain holes aren't clogged.

Good question... that is what I was wondering. We must know the year of the car... I am assuming its a LS400?

Personally, I have never had a leak on neither of my 90-91 LS400s... actually, out of all of the Toyota cars/trucks I have owned, I have never had a leak. Now on my older General Motors cars.. thats a different story. I do not think there is a 1965-1976 General Motors car out there that does not have a leaky front windshield or rear windshield (unless they have been resealed). I have owned many of these cars over the years and out of all of the ones I have owned over the past 10 years, ALL have had a windshield leak, except for one and it had a rear window leak. :rolleyes: I took it to a auto glass shop and had it removed and resealed and all was fine... then 2 months later, the front windshield started leaking. <_< and this was a garage kept car, but it was a 1972 Buick Electra and getting on in years and I guess the seals on these just get old. It seems to not be as much of an issue on the old Ford Motor Company cars of the same vintage though, as they really do not seem to have as much of an issue with leaky windows during the same late 1960s-mid 1970s years. My 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville has just recently developed a windshield leak in heavy rain. I have not had my 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon out in the rain yet (tucked away in the garage), but I would not be surprised if that one did not leak as well... lol.

Back in 1969, my dad bought a brand new Camaro. By 1974, it had developed a front windshield leak. Now he has another 1969 Camaro (going through his second childhood)... he had a brand new windshield installed last year and can you believe its leaking too?! It was professionally installed too! How pathetic.

What year is your car? And more specifically, what type of car is it? But, without knowing what year your car is, or what kind, it's impossible to offer possible solutions.