Highway Wind Noise In Rx330

Jonathan

Has anyone experienced a consistent intermittent "tapping" sound above the driver’s area of a 2004 RX330 at around 75mph? The sunroof is closed and tight, the roof rails are tight (as well as the little access doors to adjust them) and the weather stripping seems secure all around the drivers door and top of vehicle.

It almost sounds like heavy raindrops on a tin roof, or fingers drumming on the top. It is only above the driver’s area. It is speed dependent upon reaching 75mph.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Has anyone experienced a consistent intermittent "tapping" sound above the driver’s area of a 2004 RX330 at around 75mph? The sunroof is closed and tight, the roof rails are tight (as well as the little access doors to adjust them) and the weather stripping seems secure all around the drivers door and top of vehicle.

It almost sounds like heavy raindrops on a tin roof, or fingers drumming on the top. It is only above the driver’s area. It is speed dependent upon reaching 75mph.

Thanks,

Jonathan

try this, sit in the driver's seat and push up on the ceiling, maybe loose?? that's what i did before, but it wasn't an rx330, it was a town and country i rented, heard the same thing u heard, searched around and decided to just bang on the ceiling "CLICK", ceiling was loose! try that and see. :rolleyes:

Thanks....it is definately outside and only occurs around 75mph or above. Drop below 75mph and it goes away. The roof above me seems tight and does not move at all, nor ratlle, etc. even over bumpy roads. The dealership has it now and are scratching their heads.....

Jonathan

You may be able to eliminate this annoying noise just by changing the position of your front roof rack bar. Move the front bar further back towards the rear bar. Get it away from the sunroof and you will eliminate the "wind tunnel" effect which often causes the sound problem. We experienced this situation with my wife's current RX300 and also with her previous Grand Cherokee. Moving the front bars further back solved the problem in both cases, and the annoying noise never returned. Give it a try.

I heard this "tapping" sound a few times. It sounds like waterdrops. I am not sure where the sound is from. It looks like from passenger side. I don't need to drive to 75mph to hear that.

I am not sure how to repro the sound. Therefore, I really cannot ask dealer to fix it.

Please let me know what you've found out.

Resolution found by dealer today.....

Of all things the gas tank cover was both loose (a broken clip) and needed to have clearence cuts made as to not hit the car due to wind hitting the cover at speed. This noise in turn somehow found it's way through the car and produced a tapping noise above the drivers area as I described before. THe dealer was stumped for a couple of days on this one. I took it up to about 80 and it is now fixed as the noise was very regular before.

Truth can indeed be stranger than fiction....

Jonathan

I hear a creaking/tapping noise BELOW the driver's seat at highway speed--haven't found the source yet. In addition, there is a similar noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, which I traced to loose the plastic rear bumper wrapper/wheel well liner--the dealer is ordering an "updated part" for this problem. Perhaps a future TSIB?

Isnt it funny how these creakes/rattles can sound like they are right here, but they are really coming from the othe end of the car!! I hate rattles :rolleyes:

yea, i guess we can blame the factory for that problem! but it's the squeaks and rattles that are produced by "THE DEALERS" in trying to fix a previous problem. hate that, had that problem in my rx300 (with the factory defect rattling glove box) had my dealer fix it, created a creaking sound in my dashboard right next to the windshield defogger vents but i was able to reproduce the sound anytime i wanted to, SUX! :chairshot: that's why i try to avoid taking my car to the dealer to get a squeak or rattle fix, cuz they end up maybe fixing it 80% but creating a whole new pain in da !Removed! rattle! :chairshot:

• 2 years later...
I hear a creaking/tapping noise BELOW the driver's seat at highway speed--haven't found the source yet. In addition, there is a similar noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, which I traced to loose the plastic rear bumper wrapper/wheel well liner--the dealer is ordering an "updated part" for this problem. Perhaps a future TSIB?

I have a similar problem and finally asked my wife to drive while I jumped in the back seat and listened closely. I traced the rattle at highway speeds to just under the air duct under the driver seat. If I slip my hand between the air duct and the floor board I can actually feel the tap when the noise occurs. When I got the car home I moved the seat all the way up, put my hand in the same place and then looked to see what could be causing this from underneath the vehicle. Believe it or not, it appears to be the plastic shield that protects various lines running front to back. I've had the car in 3 times for this already and just made my 4th appt. This time I'm telling them what to look for since they obviously had no clue!

• 9 years later...

06RX330 - I hear the same tapping noise which comes at around 90KPH. I tried playing with the sunroof open/close switches and thought I found the solution since it silenced the noise or made less frequent tapping but it is still there. I tried pulling the seatbelt anchor but didn't find it. I saw an unscrewed rear wheel well bracket and tightened it but didn't solve the tapping. I moved the roof rack bars to the rearmost but didn't fix it. I even taped the bar to the locking mechanism to no avail. I suspect that the sound is not actually coming nearest to my left ear but from somewhere else. I suspect the the tapping sound is just being projected or bounced from another area. I will try to borrow a stethoscope to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.