Lx470 Aftermarket Dvd Wireless Headset Question

sgriffith

I am trying to figure out how to use the wireless headphones that are SUPPOSED to work with the aftermarket DVD system installed in an 02 LX470. When we purchased the vehicle just a month or so back (it is a CPO), the dealer told us that it came with headphones but they were in bad condition and that we wouldn't want them. After I thought about it more, I decided to call them back and have them mail the headsets to me anyways. Got them in and they are (baiscally) new Lexus brand wireless headsets. I turned them on (yup, new batteries) and the power light indicated that they were on. Put in a DVD and it was playing perfectly over the sound system. Put on the headsets (yes, power on...I am for sure) and there was nothing but occasional static when I turned my head from side to side. There was another little switch on it that i moved back and forth and it didn't do anything either. Any ideas here? There are two headsets and neither worked. Are aftermarket systems set up differently than the factory Lexus system in this respect? I fear I will have to call the dealer again, but I am growing tired of speaking with them!! They really don't know much until I bring it in....which is a 2.5 hour drive! Thanks for any help and suggestions. I appreciate your time.

Well, I'm not sure if I can help much, but here's some information on wireless headsets. There are two kinds of wireless headphones, radio frequency (RF) and infrared (IR). I have no way of knowing which kind you have, but it can make a difference in the way you use them.

RF headphones are designed to pick up a radio signal that your car is broadcasting. If you have a tuning wheel on your headphones, they are probably RF headphones. Use the tuning wheel to tune into the right "station". Because the broadcasting of this radio station can interfere with your factory AM/FM radio, cars with this system are usually also equiped with an "OFF" switch to keep the car from broadcasting when not needed. Look around for an ON/OFF switch with no label. The ON/OFF switch on my '04 LX470 was installed on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

IR headphones are designed to pick up an infrared beamed signal. You should be looking on your car for an IR "eye", which may look like a small red light. With these headphones, they have to be located in a direct line from the IR "eye" or they will not receive the signal. Any item interfering in the direct line will mean no sound. A dirty "eye" will result in lost signal also. Systems with this type of headphone usually have the "eye" right on the headrest screen, so look there first.

I'm not an aftermarket installer, and the info above is just what I remember from chatting with my aftermarket DVD installer. I hope I remember it properly. Good luck getting your system to work. I sure wouldn't want to drive 2.5 hours for a fix either.

Thanks so much for the reply. They are indeed IR headsets. I remember seeing something that looked like an IR eye on the screens in the headrests...so I will give that a shot today and see if it works. I am afraid that since it is an aftermarket system that I should have the other type of headsets...not the factory Lexus ones. Who knows...I guess I will find out soon enough!! Thanks again!!