Run Flat Tires

Bly

• 2 months later...

So if you replace the run flat tires with non-run flats, do you have to replace the wheels as well? What's it cost for a spare tire kit?

I hit a pothole on the freeway and then had to limp home.

So if you replace the run flat tires with non-run flats, do you have to replace the wheels as well? What's it cost for a spare tire kit?

I hit a pothole on the freeway and then had to limp home.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. No, I was able to keep my same rims; just brand new tires. Official Lexus Spare Kits are quite expensive. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/viewall/SC430-2002-310.html. There are other options out there, like using a Mazda RX-8 spare and a few others, but I like having my trunk space so I just keep a can of TPMS Safe Fix-A-Flat just in case. I know I'm taking a gamble, but not really any alternatives.

Thanks very much, Shawn. I checked the site you referenced and 500 for a tire and wheel is high but not unexpected. Another 500 for the trim pieces and mounting hardware seems a bit excessive. I've never had anything like this happen and so will probably gamble a bit too since I mostly drive the car around my city.

• 1 month later...

Run flat tires are horrible! I can't believe Lexus would send this great car out with these. They also get nailed 10 X more than regulars. I knew this from a friend who kept opping them on potholes.My second one I changed tires. Chose the Contis too. Awesome ride now. My tire guy suggested the fix a flat & said it would not ruin the tire and he would stand behind it. Thanks for other suggestions, I'm going to look into them also. I have a brand new run flat if anyone lives in Atlanta area and wants a good deal.

Love my RedTopDown !

• 3 years later...

Cannot stand noise of run flats on my 2003 SC430.  Any new options on tires to buy.  Noise only on drivers side of car.  Can I replace just those 2 or need to do all.  Also has anyone come up with a way to add Bluetooth to 03 without messing up dash.?

On the tires, I would recommend having them inspected at any big chain tire shop and then replace the tires that they recommend. Personally, I moved away from runflats to improve the ride and moved up to 20" to improve the looks. If you're dead set on 18" and runflats, I would recommend staying with the OEM Bridgestone Potenza Runflats.

As for your bluteooth question, check out a company called VaisTech that sells the SL3U. This will give you a dedicated Aux Input. I then added a Bluetooth dongle with track and volume control. Another option that is new to the market is a bluetooth cassette adapter. Pretty neat. Most complicated is installing an entire new headunit.

This was my build. Very invasive but hopefully simple to understand, especially if you only want bluetooth. 

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/691835-dvdnav-media-integration-naviks.html

Bluetooth Tape Adapter- not sure if this allows track control from the steering wheel/headunit. If you go this route with the adapter, please update us with your review and results.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ION-ITR20-Bluetooth-Cassette-Adapter/39577143

The OEMs on my 2004 SC were Dunlop. I don't remember which particular Dunlop.I replaced them with  245/40ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP Run Flat. I will never go back. Not only are they better tires, they are less expensive.

This is my wifes car and she likes the security of run flats and doesn't want to loose any trunk room to a spare. That  said, If it were my primary car I would ditch the run flats. It is just my opinion but it seems Lexus designed and tested the car with non run flats and then offered run flats as an afterthought.

• 7 months later...

Bridgestone DriveGuard Run Flat (19758)
245/40 R18 97W XL BSW RF

Best choice for my 2006 SC 430.

No noise, smooth ride, wear is superb.

Bought mine 4-16-2015.

At that time they were $196 each at Discount Tire:

Bridgestone DriveGuard Run-Flats.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have replaced 5 tires in 5 months due to pothole damage in NY. Alwasys a rip on the rim, FR or FL. When hurried along in heavy traffic I cannot see them in time. What do you think...

1. Do run flats transmit the shock more than ordinary tires? Are they more fragile?

2. Would larger tires on on smaller wheels protect better against potlhole damage?

3. Would larger tires on on smaller wheels mess up my suspension, make the car harder to control?

5 hours ago, TomDargan said:

I have replaced 5 tires in 5 months due to pothole damage in NY. Alwasys a rip on the rim, FR or FL. When hurried along in heavy traffic I cannot see them in time. What do you think...

1. Do run flats transmit the shock more than ordinary tires? Are they more fragile?

2. Would larger tires on on smaller wheels protect better against potlhole damage?

3. Would larger tires on on smaller wheels mess up my suspension, make the car harder to control?

1.  Yes, they have a reputation for providing a harsher ride but I don't know if they can be called more fragile.

2.  Yes, downsizing to smaller wheels with higher aspect ratio tires to keep the speedometer accurate would provide a more compliant ride but it would still be necessary to avoid potholes when possible.  According to https://www.tirerack.com , 17 inch and even 16 inch wheels can be used on the SC430 which must mean that its brake calipers are no larger than the LS430 which originally came with 16" wheels as standard.

3.  Smaller wheels would not damage the suspension but handling at the limits of adhesion might be affected.  But does anyone drive an SC430 hard?  Nobody I've ever known.

The easiest solution might be to ditch the run-flat tires for regular tires.  If you are concerned about flat tires, buy and carry a Safety Seal tire plug kit and a can of Fix-a-Flat or Slime tire sealant.  Porsches have come without spare tires and with plug kits for years.

Keeping inflation pressures at the minimum shown on the driver door pillar would also help reduce wheel and tire damage and provide a more comfortable ride.

You could also buy a compact spare tire for your SC430.  This was more popular when the SC430 were still in production.  There was once a spare tire kit for the SC430 although it took up a lot of trunk space.  The SC430 sold in some countries came with a spare tire.  Google "sc430 spare tire kit" and you'll find information.

OEM 18 inch SC430 wheels have a 45 mm offset.  If you want to downsize to smaller wheels you'll need to look for a similar offset and verify that the wheels will clear your brake calipers.  Tire Rack says it has 17 inch wheels with a 40 mm offset that will fit the SC430 but verify that if you are interested in them.  Some of the 16 inch wheels Tire Rack sells for the SC430 have only a 38 mm offset which seems like a fairly radial difference from the original 45 mm.

The following website purports to have accurate information about wheel sizes, offsets and bolt patterns on vehicles made by Toyota:  https://www.wheel-size.com/size/

I've noticed a few SC430's on the road the past few weeks.  I never see any in Winter months.