Air Ride Suspension

hughes369

sometimes my 92 LS 400 is sitting on the ground from the rear shocks leaking down air. WTF!!! it looks like a hoomptie or lowrider, kinda funny looking. I dont care really, but is it a shock problem or a valve or hose issue that is a routine problem. just curious.

thanks

The SNAKE

magnumpi300@yahoo.com

• 3 months later...
those are symptoms of your air shocks gone bad.

now the front is just like the rear, except they wont usually pump up at all sometimes. I saw the post for the reman air ride shocks from arnott inc. , but those are rear only. I hope they come up with front ones, cause those are the ones that carry the most weight, i would think. just my opinion. thanks for all the help from this site. Im trying to find some. new used or rebuilt, as long as they work. this money pit is taking money away from me flying choppers. buts still an awesome car. Peace out for now.

THE SNAKE

B)

• 2 weeks later...

looks like i did not check this reply from you on time, regarding the ebay link. It has already sold. I may buy the new ones from Toyoto or Lexus, but now i am wondering if my problem is more than just air ride struts. Now the entire left side is the side of the car that is not staying aired up, and the right side is staying aired up. WTF. I would like to think i have a control problem more than a airbag going bad. Sometimes the airpump wont even come on. Has anyone ever tried to build these shocks. Or can you spray some marvel mystery oil in the lines to help seal out if thats the part that is going out inside the blasted bags. Is there a computer or something i can reset or some way to overide the pump so i can at least pump up the car manually. sometimes the pump runs and sometimes it does not. If there is some kind of A-Team short cut or Plan to get by with this until i can throw out some dough , that would be cool. Until then Later

THE SNAKE

looks like i did not check this reply from you on time, regarding the ebay link. It has already sold. I may buy the new ones from Toyoto or Lexus, but now i am wondering if my problem is more than just air ride struts. Now the entire left side is the side of the car that is not staying aired up, and the right side is staying aired up. WTF. I would like to think i have a control problem more than a airbag going bad. Sometimes the airpump wont even come on. Has anyone ever tried to build these shocks. Or can you spray some marvel mystery oil in the lines to help seal out if thats the part that is going out inside the blasted bags. Is there a computer or something i can reset or some way to overide the pump so i can at least pump up the car manually. sometimes the pump runs and sometimes it does not. If there is some kind of A-Team short cut or Plan to get by with this until i can throw out some dough , that would be cool. Until then Later

THE SNAKE

Have read on this site a LS owner converted from OEM air shocks to conventional shocks at a cost of $250 each instead of $1,000 each for replacement. Though my 92 LS does not have air suspension, believe any good tire shop could do it. I use Big O Tires here in California who give me the choice of using OEM parts. For details, try search window in tool bar. Good luck.

• 9 months later...

Have read on this site a LS owner converted from OEM air shocks to conventional shocks at a cost of $250 each instead of $1,000 each for replacement. Though my 92 LS does not have air suspension, believe any good tire shop could do it. I use Big O Tires here in California who give me the choice of using OEM parts. For details, try search window in tool bar. Good luck.

did a search on the web (I may be in for a similar repair so am doing research) and came up with a site that mentions vtf bushings....and this guy sells conversion kits that he claims to have tested himself (for 750) total. i called a mechanic who told me that yes, you can convert from air suspension to regular suspension but that that defeats the purpose of buying an LS400 and will change the way the car rides, dramatically. Does he know what he is talking about? any thoughts on this?

You can get the steel spring conversion kits online, I believe I've seen them on strutmasters. I saw one somewhere for about $800, can't remember if it was strutmasters or not.

Search this forum; other people have had the problem you are experiencing. Sooner or later the airsprings wear out, it just happens.

I don't think the ride is dramatically different between air springs and steel springs, but you lose the self-leveling and adjustible firmness. The rest of the suspension (control arms, knuckles, etc) is similar to the steel sprung system. There is also some switch in the trunk you'll have to turn off so that the suspension warning light goes away.

Arnott (arnottindustries.com) sells both the front and rear air shocks; I've heard they sometimes take a while to ship though. Buying the parts new from Lexus is about $1000 per wheel. Ouch.

I would also take a look at the compressor for the air system; as the springs leak out air the compressor has to work harder to try to keep the car level. Also if the leak is too large, eventually it will not be able to keep up. If you don't fix the problem the compressor can burn out if you are not careful.

Good luck.

prix, I have driven both LS's with and without air suspension, and I easily felt the differences and absolutely loved the air ride more than with standard struts. The ride was probably the #1 reason I wanted an LS, and the '90 I drove with 234k miles rode smoother than 99% of any other car on the road. There was a big difference for me, perhaps not for others.

The Nakamichi system was something else I longed for. But after hearing the Nak and the standard Pioneer system I decided that the improvement wasn't that dramatic for me. It's all personal preference.

If you can afford it, I would maintain the air ride.

If you look at what you paid for the car vs. it's price new, your investment is nothing compared to the loss the first owner took in depreciation. :cheers:

If the shocks that are flat keep changing, I wonder if your control valve is leaking/sticking instead of the bags leaking.

I would think that if the bags were leaking the same ones would go flat all the time.

Does anyone else think this too?

I don't have air suspension on my cars so this is just from an outsider looking at the symptoms without knowing how the system is designed.

Tom

prix, I have driven both LS's with and without air suspension, and I easily felt the differences and absolutely loved the air ride more than with standard struts. The ride was probably the #1 reason I wanted an LS, and the '90 I drove with 234k miles rode smoother than 99% of any other car on the road. There was a big difference for me, perhaps not for others.

The Nakamichi system was something else I longed for. But after hearing the Nak and the standard Pioneer system I decided that the improvement wasn't that dramatic for me. It's all personal preference.

If you can afford it, I would maintain the air ride.

If you look at what you paid for the car vs. it's price new, your investment is nothing compared to the loss the first owner took in depreciation.  :cheers:

i am the first owner. unghhgh. ;-) i don't know of too many cars you can drive for 11 years without having to do any major work. the only repair i can recall that cost more than $500 was a leaking valve gasket. but i think my free ride (quite literally, since the car was paid for long ago) is coming to an end. i'm hearing creaking noises and some clunks etc., so I am thinking air suspension...shocks...crap, could be anything. I also could be wrong about the shocks (you worry about the worst first, eh?). Also have a power steering leak that is not dramatic at all, but I have to deal with sometime soon. the thing that REALLY puzzles me? for the life of me, i can't find a good recommendation on an indie mechanic/shop with good experience on the lexus here in los angeles. if it is air susp., i want someone who knows what they are doing. found a german indie who said they didn't see why they would have any problems with susp and/or steering work on a lexus, but it just seems better to go with lexus trained mechanics. hasn't someoen branched off from a dealer to start their own biz??? los angeles is a BIG city -- 10 million +, but i've searched high and low...internet, calling some listed shops to ask, seraching these threads, asking listed shops for referrals, checking with pre-approved shops via AAA. nada. ideas? yes, i LOVE the air suspension ride. wouldn't trade it for the world.

Vis-a-vis all the creaking and clunking it could be the transmission and/or motor mounts. These parts eventually disintegrate (rubber, heat, hard life, etc). They are a relatively cheap fix, and make a world of difference. I had the same experience with my car a couple months ago. Really thought it was going to bite the bullet; and a couple hundred bucks later good as new. These seem to last about 100,000 miles or so. How many miles are on the car? Still searching for my first LS and wondering how long these parts seem to last in SoCal....

The tranny mount I've heard is not that hard to do but the motor mounts I'm not sure I would try without a service manual and a full set of tools.

Good point about the control valve jbarhorst2; perhaps the sticking valves are trying to correct for a leaking spring? I'd have it checked out. 11 years is a nice long run though. Sooner or later you'll have to put some money into it. :chairshot:

I haven't seen any independent mechanics in LA either, although I bet a Toyota one might work on a Lexus. I'm thinking about asking my Mercedes mechanic if he'll look after mine.....

i am the first owner.  unghhgh.  ;-)  i don't know of too many cars you can drive for 11 years without having to do any major work.  the only repair i can recall that cost more than $500 was a leaking valve gasket.  but i think my free ride (quite literally, since the car was paid for long ago) is coming to an end.  i'm hearing creaking noises and some clunks etc., so I am thinking air suspension...shocks...crap, could be anything.  I also could be wrong about the shocks (you worry about the worst first, eh?).  Also have a power steering leak that is not dramatic at all, but I have to deal with sometime soon.  the thing that REALLY puzzles me?  for the life of me, i can't find a good recommendation on an indie mechanic/shop with good experience on the lexus here in los angeles.  if it is air susp., i want someone who knows what they are doing.  found a german indie who said they didn't see why they would have any problems with susp and/or steering work on a lexus, but it just seems better to go with lexus trained mechanics.  hasn't someoen branched off from a dealer to start their own biz???  los angeles is a BIG city -- 10 million +, but i've searched high and low...internet, calling some listed shops to ask, seraching these threads, asking listed shops for referrals, checking with pre-approved shops via AAA.  nada.  ideas?  yes, i LOVE the air suspension ride.  wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks for the suggestions. I FINALLY spent money on this car today -- new rotors and brakes done by an LA mechanic who knows what he is doing. He used to work for Lexus and MBenz, so knows his stuff.

Post repair, the ride is vastly improved, but I still have that annoying noise, which I now think could be an air strut, or what the previous poster said -- tranny mount or motor mounts.

Today the mechanic told me the rubber bladder on the strut of the left front tire has a small amount of fluid around it, indicating the beginnings of a leak. That was my worst fear -- air struts!! But it's only on the one tire, and small in area, so could be worse.

Question: Can I replace just ONE strut? If that is indeed what needs to be done, wld be far more palatable to do one, as opposed to all four. Someone here said they cost 1 grand each.

At this juncture, I don't want to give up the air ride. And if that strut bladder is leaking, how long should I continue to drive the car? I've had a small power steering leak for years! I do mean small though. Thoughts??

Looked on ebay for air struts for LS400 tonight just out of curiosity...Nada.

At least I know of a good indie mechanic. That's a small measure of progress.

Looks like I should get the tranny or motor mounts checked too. How does one do that? Is it easy to test out?

They looked at the suspension today..said they didn't see anything other than that small leak ... no torn bushings, ball joints and control arms fine. So far so good.

72K miles btw...so not terribly heavy driving in all those years...

Thanks all...as a result of reading this board, I was FAR more informed about today's repairs which was extremely helpful (you feel less like a victim even though you still have to hand over a large sum of $). :-)

• 11 months later...

Temporary fix to leaking air struts on LS400, by Hughes369...

I used a fitting off my old front struts to make a filling port for my rear struts that are now leaking.

Remove the 19mm air line inlet fitting from a spare,old, airstrut. good luck finding one if you have not bought a new airstrut ever.

Next take a brass valve stem from an old motorcycle tire tube and grind it down to fit down into this fitting.

remove the valve core and use a rod of some sort to center it in the fitting and then braze some brass into the fitting where the airline would normally thread into the airstrut.

After i did this, i had a slight leak in the valve stem cause its very weak and we were not careful, so if need be dab JBweld around the base of the stem.

After it dries and you test that the fitting has no leaks, remove your rear or which ever strut you are trying to fix.

Remove the fitting off the strut and put aside till later, you will need it back when you reinstall the fixed, previously leaking strut.

install the fitting you just made into this strut with the valve core removed. Pour in about half a bottle of Slime, tire sealant.

Reinstall the valve core into the valve stem and put about 15 psi of air into it and then roll it around to distribute the slime tire sealer inside the leaking strut.

take the pressure up to 25 psi and keep rolling the strut around so that the sealer fills all the leaks on the airbag. Dont turn the strut upside down or sealer will get into the parts at the top that control the ride firmness or whatever the stuff at the top of the strut does.

After about 5 minutes you should have a good sealed air strut.

release the air from the strut and then remove the fitting you made and reinstall the one you set aside.

At this point work fast and put the strut back on the car and reinstall the airline to it. Start the car and see if it holds air. Getting pressure back on the strut after you have let it all out to reinstall it on the car insures that the sealant continues to be pressurized to all the possible leaks.

So far my struts are ok... this may buy you some time till you can afford new or rebuilt ones. Suncore industries sells reman airstruts for lexus.

Peace out,,, THE SNAKE

Any of you guys considered talking to the lowrider comunity?

I have owned here in the UK, old Merc's on air that are a smooth ride. When done to allow the car to be lowered to look good not hop, that is.

Replacement bags cost me 60quid ($100 ish)

One guy has converted an LS from conventional struts to aftermarket air... The ride is supposed to be fantastic.

Seems like the Car geometry is the key.

sometimes my 92 LS 400 is sitting on the ground from the rear shocks leaking down air. WTF!!! it looks like a hoomptie or lowrider, kinda funny looking. I dont care really, but is it a shock problem or a valve or hose issue that is a routine problem. just curious.

thanks

The SNAKE

magnumpi300@yahoo.com

I bought the conversion kit from StrutMasters, $650 for all 4 shocks.

The front are pretty simple to replace, less than an hour each.

The rear were more difficult, but not nearly as difficult as I thought they would be.

You have to remove the back seat, the wheels and un bolt the rear sway bar. the instructions said to remove alot more, but I found that I could barely remove and replace them without doing this.

On installation you will need someone (anyone), to help guide the strutsback into the bolt holes in the back seat area ae you lift them from below.

Took me about 4 hours to do the 2 rear shocks.

My right front was leaking, so I will probably be selling theothers on Ebay as time allows.

Best of luck: bob

Check out this link for Great prices on rebuilt air shocks and conversion kits:

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lexuspage.asp

thanks

The SNAKE

magnumpi300@yahoo.com