Common Issues And A Ls400 Buying Guide

wandawoods

per moderator VMF's suggestion, and for the bennefit of future-to-be LS400 owners, here are a complied lists of buying guides and some recent discussions regarding buying used LS400 for your pre-purchase considerations.

credit to LOC member 'lextreme':

Buying a Lexus LS400 1990-1994

credit to LOC member 'wandawoods':

Used LS400 Buyer Guide for Layman by Layman

credit to the effort of LOC member 'IUZ-FE':

New To Lexus And Forum - What year LS 400 should I purchase?

Need Suggestions - wanna buy a 90 LS400

1992 Ls400 Questions

I Need Some Advice

Buying Ls400

Looking To Buy 1992 Ls 400 - 1992 v. 1994

Looking To Buy Ls400

How Long Can A 91 Ls400 Go?

Considering 1991 Ls400 Purchase

Considering A Purchase - High mile LS400

it is suggested that members, registered or not, seeking pre-purchase advices 'print' out any useful infomation you are looking for because these guides/threads may or may not be upkept forever by their web site adminitrators.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Are there any topics posted about more recent model years (after 2001)?

I own a 1995 LS400. A few days ago my engine light/trac light came on and will not go off. I took my car to the dealership and they said one of my spark plugs has a short in it and the best thing to do is get a tune up. They also told me to have my throttle body cleaned. Does this sound normal?

This morning I got up to go to work and my car wouldn't start. I even tried to put it in neutral to back it out of the garage so my husband could give it a jump but it would not come out of "park". The electric locks wouldn't work or anything. I'm hoping I just need a new battery and that its nothing serioius. Any thoughts? :(

This morning I got up to go to work and my car wouldn't start. I even tried to put it in neutral to back it out of the garage so my husband could give it a jump but it would not come out of "park". The electric locks wouldn't work or anything. I'm hoping I just need a new battery and that its nothing serioius. Any thoughts? :(

Hey Dymand, my LS died on me one time and had those symptoms, the poles on the battery needed to be cleaned and tightened. I took it to a mechanic to check out the system and said battery was fine and that was all that was wrong.

Hey Dymand, my LS died on me one time and had those symptoms, the poles on the battery needed to be cleaned and tightened. I took it to a mechanic to check out the system and said battery was fine and that was all that was wrong.

Ok Thanks RayM....I'll take it in and see if that's what the problem is. :rolleyes:

Got some updated info for any newbie's out there or anyone wanting to do a Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement. even if you don't DIY this info should save you some money on parts. My car is a 90 but this info should work on all first gen's (90-94) and may work for the gen 2.0(95-97), not the 2.5(98-00). the procedure can be found on Lexls.com. I went ahead and changed the radiator and the fan clutch also. For my parts i got quotes from multiple sites. the ones i used are:

www.lexus-parts.com - Sewell Lexus in Texas

www.parkplacelexus.com - Either Grapevine or Plano

www.irontoad.com - Dealer in PA

www.etyparts.com - great deals in CA

www.autopartsplace.com - warehouse dealer

www.sparkplugs.com - Great deals on Aftermarket parts

each site had multiple prices on the same items so i would suggest checking them all. on etyparts.com i got the No. 1 & 2 bearings OEM brand (NSK and Koyo) for $90 shipped. also saw on ebay that a dealer in CA will sell the whole kit(TB, Serp Belt, No. 1&2 bearing, cam and crank seals) for $200, $300 w/ WP. this seller claims the parts are OEM and that he is a dealer from Sacto. there are many more but i would question their credibility. I checked their website and GMB parts are made in Japan, but are not OEM. Park Place Lexus will ship free on orders over $100. Auto Parts Place will ship free on orders over $50. my combo of parts/dealer was:

TB/WP/Tensioner=Park Place Lexus; COST= $200+

No 1 & 2 Bearing=ETY Parts; COST= $90

Spark plugs/Wires=Sparkplugs.com; COST= $170

fan clutch/ Serpentine belt=autopartsplace.com; COST = $173

Radiator=etyparts.com; COST = $250+shipping

There are cheaper radiators. Cooling Systems & Flex are available on autopartsplace.com. Proliance is available on summitracing.com and rockauto.com(rock is cheaper) The one I'm gettings is a Koyo brand. I also got the 24" Chain Wrench from Ebay for $30 (used to remove cam/crank bolts) you can also find the valve adjustment tool (SST A & B ) for $30 shipped and the cam sprocket holder for $45 + shipping on ebay. I hope to add more links for the suspension and brakes as i also repair/replace/demo these parts

Hope This Helps! :cheers:

NOTE: all prices include shipping unless noted otherwize (i.e. +shipping)

• 4 months later...

HI,

I will be buying a 92 ls400 maroon colour. the car is clean from the inside and outside (body paint) no scraches. the engine seems to b just fine, took it for a long drive and it runs like its new. But wht my concern is tht will it start to creat problems in the future ? its been imported from the us and i had a complete check up ont he car there is no problem except the fact tht the power steering oil is leaking.... and the stereo is working but the volume nob is not working.( means i cant increase or decrease the volume). how about fuel consumption. ? they tell me tht when u driving with in 80 km /hr it only runs on 4 cylinders but when u go above 130 km/ hr thts when it runs on all 8 cylinders....please advise me on this.

one more thing i live in a hot country .... the middle east and the heat here goes up to 45 degrees tht is very hot in the summer and summer is close ....will i face problems when it comes to vehicle heating up while i drive like in the afternoon when the sun is at its highest... ? the reason iam worried is ppl have this problem all the time with many imported cars in this country...... iam getting for a good price tht is aprox 5500 us$....and i think its worth a shot. :)

thanks...

SnOoPy6!4....

The car runs on 8 cylinders ALL THE TIME. You should be able to expect to get 550-650 km's for 75 litres of fuel.

Power steering leak is bad because it drips onto the alternator and then you may need to replace the alternator and powersteering pump, which might be hard for you if you do not have parts for this car available in your country.

The cooling system for this car is very good, with an engine driven clutch fan that is always on when the engine runs. You may prefer an electric fan that you can add on yourself because that way it will cool your engine after you stop driving (if it is installed properly). I do not think you will have too much trouble with the engine temp on this car, it was designed very well to handle many conditions. Many people from Arizona in the United states own them and it gets to 45 degrees there on a regular basis in the summer, and I have never heard of them overheating because of it.

I am unsure how to repir the stereo, but you could always get a new stereo or a different stereo if it is important.

Best of luck, if you buy the car, you will be very happy as long as your powersteering pump gets repaired and your alternator is still good!

Dear Aarman4, thanks for your information it was realy helpfull. i will get my power steering oil leakage fixed asap befo it does any damage. and as for the stereo it is already fixed. nice to know tht the car runs all the time on 8 cyliders and thanks for the tip about getting an electric fan for cooling the car when its stationed,.... dont know were to find one but willl find it . thanks again ... will post more questions incase iam little confused or wooried..

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I bought a 96 ls400 back in June of last year... It has been the worst purchase for me to date... It had about 163K on the odom and now I just hit 170K... hooray!!! Since the purchase I have replaced a an exhaust gasket, coil, spark plug wires, egr valve, and three cat converters... around $1500 so far...Oh and I need a check engine light (replaced or just installed, who knows??) thats about $211 to have installed..... I don't like this car because it has been one thing after another.... It was always a dream of mine to own an Ls but it has been nothing but a nightmare!!!

F@#k it!!!! I'm buying a Mercedes-Benz E-Class turbo diesel... something dependable for once

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

I bought a 96 ls400 back in June of last year... It has been the worst purchase for me to date... It had about 163K on the odom and now I just hit 170K... hooray!!! Since the purchase I have replaced a an exhaust gasket, coil, spark plug wires, egr valve, and three cat converters... around $1500 so far...Oh and I need a check engine light (replaced or just installed, who knows??) thats about $211 to have installed..... I don't like this car because it has been one thing after another.... It was always a dream of mine to own an Ls but it has been nothing but a nightmare!!!

F@#k it!!!! I'm buying a Mercedes-Benz E-Class turbo diesel... something dependable for once

Ditto for me. I recently purchased a 1994 LS 400 and its been nothing but trouble. Haven't really had a chance to drive it, currently not even driveable. The first week I purchased it the Ac compressor went out and I had to replace it ($1,500.00); also the car shutters while driving around 35-50 mph (I've seen others LS 400 owner complain of the same problem); tried to fix the problem by replacing the spark plugs and spark plug cables myself.

Once completed took the car out for a drive to test if the new plugs and cable solved the shutter problem, but the throttle is now stuck wide open and the car rpm's zoom to 4,000 rpm's and I have to shut down the engine.

If anybody knows why the throttle is stuck wide open, please help. About to give up on the car for good.

Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Are there any topics posted about more recent model years (after 2001)?

I own a 1995 LS400. A few days ago my engine light/trac light came on and will not go off. I took my car to the dealership and they said one of my spark plugs has a short in it and the best thing to do is get a tune up. They also told me to have my throttle body cleaned. Does this sound normal?

I had the same problem and I need a new alternator. Have someone test your charging system, if you are not getting over 11 volts than that is the reason it is stuck in park.

• 1 year later...

Drivers seat recline problem on 1992 LS400. Drive shaft from motor on left hand side of seat to right hand side of seat gets chewed up usually on the right hand spindle of the right hand pivot bracket. I replaced the seat recline drive shaft on my car with a home-made remedy. I used (2) 9mm 3/8 drive 12-point sockets to match the drive spindles on the pivot brackets. The spindles are 16 tooth, but the 12-point 9mm sockets do fit on it and work O.K. Machined a 3/8" square drive onto each end of a piece of round 1/2 inch solid cold rolled steel rod from Lowes to attach the 9mm sockets on either end of the steel rod. No welding required. I actually used deep-well 9mm 12-point Kobalt brand sockets from Lowes, and got the Round Rod there too. You could use all socket extensions if you get creative, but make sure you are able to reinstall the black sleeve that comes off the original drive shaft or put something back on the modified shaft that keeps anything from getting wrapped around the shaft when it turns. Also make sure you have the left and right pivot brackets aligned to the same angle when your connecting the shaft between them. Pulling up the seat cover to unbolt the pivot is part of the job, its not easy to do this in the car, remove the seat to see what your getting involved with to do this right.

• 3 months later...

I have a 96 LS 400 and the seat belt tensioner doesn't work correctly (it doesn't snug the belts tight enough). Any info here on how to fix them? I've been quoted $300 by Lexus but would prefer to do the work myself.

Also, my LCD display for the climate control/radio/cd etc is about half dark and I've been quoted $800 for that fix. The info on your site seems to concern the 92 models and that San Francisco outfit that allegedly rebuilds them for $295 has a website that doesn't help at all. Any other advice on how to fix this problem without breaking the bank?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I just traded up to a '96 LS. an one thing I know is getting someone else's problems.. NO PROBLEM TO ME... Everything that was wrong I fixed an I only spent 120+ dollers in parts. From 2 new cat converters, transmission service/tune up, map sensor problem, an so on.. BE PATIENT WITH THIS CAR.. Don't go crazy " AN DON'T SETTLE FOR 1.500$$ Crap from the dealer... Relax an get knowledge on where to go an Pay. I hate seeing people on here say ( the car don't drive smooth or won't do this or that... Get a obd2 diagnostic computer an do it yourself an save. Beat the system of needing to take it to the dealer.....

• 1 month later...

Where is the Search feature for forums? I get on these forums and sometimes I just don't want to bother with it.

Then you know I will find the search feature and wont be able to find what I am looking for, so I will just ask, and someone will come on to criticise and tell me to go to the thread because the answer is there. I am not a stupid guy but these forums sometimes make me wonder.

• 3 months later...

I owned a '91 Lexus LS 400 that had some electrical issues. No issues big enough to make me stop loving her though. The LS400 is a beast.

-The alternator burned out

-The battery would die well beyond warrantee

-The radio antenna would erect itself

-Catalytic converter issues (requiring expensive repair) that made it difficult to pass smog

The benefits of the car well outweighed any issues needing repair over the life of the vehicle. It was a pleasure to own.

• 9 months later...