Front Turn Signal Replacement- 90-94 Ls400

90LS400Lexus

My right front turn signal bulb is blown. I cannot get the lens off of the car to change the bulb. I have done a search on here, with no information and the owners manual simply shows the lens off. I took the screw out, but the lens will still not come out. I tried pulling it back, but it will not come out. Any information appreciated. I am tired of people giving me smirky looks " <_< ", because they think I am not turning my signal on.

Also too, my driver side floor lamp is not working and I need to change it. I have the new bulbs, but again, I cannot get the lens off of that cover. Does it just "pry" off? Thanks again.

I have a 95, don't know if it is different, but you shouldn't have to take the lens OUT to change it?? I believe (if it is like mine) that you can remove then black plastic under the front end & just reach up inside & take the bulb out? Liek I said though, mine is a 95... Be sure to replace it with an led so you will be ultra hip & cool!

the lens will not pop off, if it does you broke it.......just go in from the side unhook the harness connector, twist, pull, and replace the bulb

as far as the foot well lights, just take a small flathead screw driver, put some tape on the end ( so u don't scratch it) then just pry out the lens cover carefully starting from the bottom.

you will need needle nose plyers to get the old bulb out, as its too small to grab by hand. carefully place the new bulb in the taped needle nose pliers and insert, pop lens cover back on and your all set. ;)

the lens will not pop off, if it does you broke it.......just go in from the side unhook the harness connector, twist, pull, and replace the bulb

as far as the foot well lights, just take a small flathead screw driver, put some tape on the end ( so u don't scratch it) then just pry out the lens cover carefully starting from the bottom.

you will need needle nose plyers to get the old bulb out, as its too small to grab by hand. carefully place the new bulb in the taped needle nose pliers and insert, pop lens cover back on and your all set. ;)

Theres something else ive learnt ;)

Thanks for the info for us any :)

I am confused again !!! :unsure: First of all isn't the bulb a plain ole # 1156 ???? When I got the clear lens for mine, the company also sent amber bulbs for these since the clear lexus bulbs would be illegal. You can see the amber bulbs on the atavar !!.

The outside(parking) light assy has to come off first; then you take the inner turn signal assys off--they pull out--after the screws are removed.

NOTE I said assys--the whole thing is pulled off not the lens !!!!! The bulb goes in from the back--twists in like the 1156 it is.

At least the 1993 model is like that--would assume all gen 1 is the same{unless my brain is on another holiday--it goes on one every now and then} Think gen 2 is wedge bulbs but that is a guess.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, that lens is what would not come off. According to the owners manual, the screw comes out (which it does), then the side marker light comes off- then a screw under there comes out, then that is supposed to come out. I guess I will have to try to crawl under the car to change the bulb- which I think it crazy. :wacko: Can't anything be simple on these cars? :unsure:

About the "LED" recommendations, I bought some of those about a year ago, for the rear stop lights/signal lights of one of my cars. I took them out, because the light did not seem to "scatter" on the lens. It did not light up the lens, like the regular 1156 bulb did, so it only showed that small spot illuminated- where the bulb actually was. The new Kia Amanti has the LEDs on the front- (probably 100s), and it looks neat. Cadillac, Mercedes and I think even some BMWs now have these from the factory on the rear.

Thanks again.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING !!!!! This light is close to being the simplest to change on the whole car !!!!!!

You remove one screw on the bottom park lite, then pull it out; when it is out [ takes about 10 seconds !!]; that uncovers the screw on the outside edge of the turn signal. you remove that screw, then pull the light assy out; untwist the bulb and install a new one !!! and reinstall.

You can do all of this[both lights] in less than 5 minutes or so.

on the bulb--if you want brighter bulbs you can install 'Bright' bulbs they make for the 1156---they just have a slightly higher wattage: 35 vs stock 27.

Not even sure you can get access to the rear of the lamps--if so, you would probably have to remove the engine bottom cover and the cover under and in front of the engine cover to get behind the bumper-and I am unsure about that--anyway---much much longer to do.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING !!!!! This light is close to being the simplest to change on the whole car !!!!!!

You remove one screw on the bottom park lite, then pull it out; when it is out [ takes about 10 seconds !!]; that uncovers the screw on the outside edge of the turn signal. you remove that screw, then pull the light assy out; untwist the bulb and install a new one !!! and reinstall.

You can do all of this[both lights] in less than 5 minutes or so.

on the bulb--if you want brighter bulbs you can install 'Bright' bulbs they make for the 1156---they just have a slightly higher wattage: 35 vs stock 27.

Not even sure you can get access to the rear of the lamps--if so, you would probably have to remove the engine bottom cover and the cover under and in front of the engine cover to get behind the bumper-and I am unsure about that--anyway---much much longer to do.

Well, I have not went out there yet to destroy the light, but I tried twice yesterday-to remove the light. I took out the only screw on the light you mentioned. That part of the light will pull out a little, but something toward the front on that light toward the turn signal light is holding it. I tried pulling it straight out, I tried twisting, etc, but no luck. According to the owners manual- it appears extremely easy like you say, but something is holding the crazy thing. :rolleyes:

OK- I just came back in from trying it again. This time, I was able to remove the side marker lens, after some heavy duty pulling on it. It made a snapping noise, but it did not break. Now another problem. I now cannot get the screw that holds the turn signal cover to turn. I have tried to turn it so hard that it is tearing a hole in the bumper cover there. Obviously this bulb has not been changed since 1990. I just left the lens cover off of the side marker and I guess I will spray it with WD-40 or something and try again tomorrow.

Guess mine just came off easier than yours seem to----yes, I would be hesitant also to pull that hard without lots of questions first.

The other screw is probably just rusty on the back side--soak and try again--just don't strip the phillips.

also suggest some Vaseline or white grease on the metal 'ball' of the running lite that snaps into the turn signal housing prior to reinstallation.

Glad to hear that you are making progress~~~~~~~~~~ :P

Thanks. I finally got it off. :wacko: I went back out AGAIN (at 10:30 at night) :P - determined to remove. The screw was not wanting to come out, but it did, slowly. Actually, there was no rust on it at all. It was clean as new. I finally got the signal lens to finally come out (after I dropped it on the driveway) :blink::rolleyes: and got the bulb changed out. I guess it was the original bulb, because it said "JAPAN" on the bulb, unless it was a factory replacement, but from the looks of the screws, they have never been removed. Now I will try to replace the floor light tomorrow. Thanks again for the pep talk. :D

• 2 weeks later...

To update- I had yet ANOTHER light bulb go out. This time it was the right front parking lamp. It was working a few days ago, but I noticed today that it was out. I looked at the owners manual to see what all had to be disassembled to change the bulb. Simply showed one screw. I removed it, but the lens was a pain to get off of the car. <_< It seems as if that "plug" toward the bottom of the lens was holding it very tightly. It also kept "binding" up toward the back. It was chewed up a little around that back part, as if someone had trouble with it before. I finally got it to "pop" loose after extreme pulling. When it popped loose, it threw me back- it was holding so tightly. :rolleyes: I replaced the bulb, but then the lens would not properly fit back into place toward the back. It looked like the little "ears" on the fender was bent and some paint had flaked off of it. I was getting frustrated and had to run an errand, so I just threw the lens in the trunk and went on my way. :whistles:

When I returned, I had cooled off a little. I bent that little "ear" back flat and then the lens popped back on after a little coaxing. ;) However, when I had forced the back part of the lens back into the fender, more paint flaked off of it, but luckily, the lens covers it. :whistles:

Then- I tried to tackle one of the blown license plate bulbs. It (owners manual) simply shows the screws coming out at the lens and the lens is supposed to "magically" come off. I took out all four screws and could not get either of them to budge. Is it just me, or is replacing bulbs on these cars a pain in the neck? :unsure: Seems like I have had trouble with all three I have dealt with. I have never had so much trouble changing bulbs on any other car I have owned in the past- and I have owned many different makes and models.

Then- I tried to tackle one of the blown license plate bulbs. It (owners manual) simply shows the screws coming out at the lens and the lens is supposed to "magically" come off. I took out all four screws and could not get either of them to budge. Is it just me, or is replacing bulbs on these cars a pain in the neck?  Seems like I have had trouble with all three I have dealt with. I have never had so much trouble changing bulbs on any other car I have owned in the past- and I have owned many different makes and models.

i think you are overthinking yourself.....all those bulbs are very easy to replace, the hardest one is the headlight bulb and thats just b/c it is a very small place to put your hand in

the lisncense plate bulb.........just remove the screws, take a flat head and pop out the covering and replace the bulb...simple as that.....

Then- I tried to tackle one of the blown license plate bulbs. It (owners manual) simply shows the screws coming out at the lens and the lens is supposed to "magically" come off. I took out all four screws and could not get either of them to budge. Is it just me, or is replacing bulbs on these cars a pain in the neck?  Seems like I have had trouble with all three I have dealt with. I have never had so much trouble changing bulbs on any other car I have owned in the past- and I have owned many different makes and models.

i think you are overthinking yourself.....all those bulbs are very easy to replace, the hardest one is the headlight bulb and thats just b/c it is a very small place to put your hand in

the lisncense plate bulb.........just remove the screws, take a flat head and pop out the covering and replace the bulb...simple as that.....

Well, I think that part of it may be where the bulbs are original and these lens have never been removed before- which is why they are "sticking" a bit. I noticed today than again- the right front parking light had quit working again. I give it a slap with my hand and it illuminated. :unsure: Have no idea what the problem was. Perhaps I did not have the bulb pressed in enough to make contact? As far as the trunk light goes- I tried using a flat end screw driver to pry off the lens. It just "chewed" the plastic up around it. :rolleyes:

yeah maybe try spraying a bit of lube up there........'

when u are prying with a flat head screwdriver always wrap the end in electrical tape, or equivelent, even a rag would work........but if you don't wrap the end, like you said, the metal will tear the plastic up.

90LS400Lexus~~~I was wondering if you still have those struts you told me you where selling? If so how much u want for them and would you ship @ my cost? Are they really worn out? Are they OEM or performance? I live in CALIFORNIA, 91352. Would they fit my '92 Lexo, sorry that this question has nothing to do with your post, but i had to get a hold of you to ask you.

Thanks for your time!!!

yeah maybe try spraying a bit of lube up there........'

when u are prying with a flat head screwdriver always wrap the end in electrical tape, or equivelent, even a rag would work........but if you don't wrap the end, like you said, the metal will tear the plastic up.

Thanks for the tips, but the lens is clearly stuck, or my car is different. I have tried all of the above mentioned and it will not budge. :angry: I guess I will let the next owner deal with it. At least one still works. :rolleyes:

Not only am I having this problem, but I AGAIN had to take off the RF parking lens, because the light kept going out. Seems like the bulb was not making a good connection and was loose in the socket. I had to pry the metal connectors on the bulbs out, so it would make good contact. What luck I have had with these only most recently blown bulbs. <_< :wacko:

Thanks again.

• 19 years later...

Looks like you need Lexus P/N 81615-87705.  They look to be still available.

https://parts.lexusofpleasanton.com/p/Lexus_1991_LS-400/SOCKET-WIRE-SUB-ASSEMBLY-FRONT-TURN-SIGNAL-LAMP-BODY-SPOT-LAMP/63367916/8161587705.html

You don't have to buy it from the link above.

I don't know why this isn't a more common, "get it anywhere" part.