New To Lexus And Forum

ibejack2

Hey Lexuses71 you'll be happy to hear this. Last weekend I was at two different part stores for some brake cleaner spray. In both stores, the counter guys said "a used Lexus LS400 was voted as the best car in America"  :rolleyes:

They both said practically the same thing w/o me fishing for comments. They asked what kind of car I had, and they responded with the same reaction. They said if you just do the normal maintance and repairs that all cars face, they'll go for a good 300k flawlessly.

Hey there, nc211-

Well, I've now been rolling for 3 days. My paper cup is now full of drool. Left the dealer Sunday when I rolled off with a full tank of petro. My work commute is only 7 miles one way, but have done a bit of pleasure driving in between. Still have over 3/4 of a tank left. This is all city driving. Seems to be averaging 19-20mpg so far. Hell, considering it's a V8, I have to say, this car gets better mileage than my '93 Acura Legend Coupe and THAT car has a 24V V6! What, by he way, do most of you guys average? Today, I left the LS at the dealer so they could install LoJac. I still have no read the GPS manual yet, but I'm gradually finding my way thru it just piddling with the buttons.

I do have a question abt the GPS that came with the car...does this wrk on a DVD unit in the trunk? Are there newer DVDs available (including ecent street additons, etc) and where the heck can you get one without going thru the dealer?? My 2nd question is, my car came with a console phone (which is not in service at the moment). Is this a Digital or straight Analog phone?? Remember, I have a '98. And when did Lexus start including the Bluetooth technology that seems to be found in most newer cars?

Otherwise, I am in hog heaven and proud tobe a new member of a very cool group of enthusiasts. Look forward to leaning a lot more abt my car thru you pros!

:cheers:

that's about the same milage I get as well...um..when I keep my foot out of it. Now that's it's cooling off and the a/c isn't on as much, it's getting tougher and tougher not to rev up that v8 for kicks. But I average 20 in the city, about 27 on the highway. Same boat with you on the comparison to your Acura. My 10 year old LS gets better mileage than my former 2001 Maxima got, with a 3.0 24V V6. Also better than my also former 99' Subaru Outback "all-wheel-drive is a thirsty option." I believe the phone is analog, I've got it too in my car. It was working when I got it becuase the previous owner "corporate car" forgot to turn it off. A few free 1-900 calls took care of that problem. :whistles: I HATED getting calls from some dude looking for Bill Jackson. Told the dealer to inform the former owner of it, they did several times, and it was still on for about a 2 months. I've always been curious how the previous owner's wife reacted to the bill with "1-900-dial-a-ho'" on the bill. ;) Must admit though, it sure did make my commute home after work that much nicer!

Keep the air filter clean, and your foot out of it and you'll pull 20/27 mpg with no problems. Put your foot in it too much, and you'll be getting Christmas cards from Exxon.

• 3 months later...

Something to think about if any of you are considering a used car since the major Hurricanes. http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?c...9&src=LP%20utes

Anyways, I "love" my 02 over my 90, times that many years, and glad I made the decision. I don't have to pay any attention to 90% of the threads but I do and still miss the turn of the wrench. :whistles: "RIGHT" LOL.. If you can spring it, get an 01 +. Don't take this wrong...Just fortunate I was able to move up a few years. Getting a little old to be under a jacked up car. Still Love all of the 400's and always have admiration for them when I see them on the road because I know what "fine" cars they all are. When you guys can swing a 430 you will know exactly what I am saying. I must be honest and say I have a few extras like Mark Levinson Stereo, Auto rain wipers, A/C and heated seats, Nav, Auto door and trunk closure, 17" tires with Euro suspension, Xm Satellite, front and rear radar detectors, Park Assist, Radar cruise and interior lighting group, and the list goes on that my 90 did not have. Still, I miss my 90, 400. Just a tribute to the great line of cars Lexus has given us. Drive safe this Holiday season!!!!

Thanks for the quick response. I will try for the 95 if I can afford it. I am planning to purchase on Ebay. Any advice about purchasing on Ebay? thanks JP

I bought my 93 LS on EBAY in november. Fairly good experience. I looked at two LS's localy. Was not impressed at all with their condition. Be patient when looking. If no one is bidding or low bids. There may be a reason. Look for one with records. The VIN is listed. Get a CARFAX report. Get the seller to buy, even if you reimburse him for a 30 day warrenty. Go to lexus with the VIN # and ask them to print a service report. Pay for an inspection. Print a list of things to look for when you view the car. Be willing to loose your deposit if you don't want the car.

go down a day early and be relaxed when you do your inspection. Don't have jet lag. I am very happy with my purchase. Each car i drove had a different feel. The seats with heat, I found to be hard and uneven to sit on. I chose only warm weather states for car to bid on. Less wear and tear on the powertrain and the body. Plus cleaner interior. If it's been well maintained you should do ok on EBAY

• 5 months later...

I am trying to determine what year LS 400 between 1990 and 1995

Okay, just my $0.02 worth ...

I understand the suggestions to get newer and "better". Yes the 95 has more interior and trunk room and has been restyled, but I prefer the more rounded look of the pre 95 cars. Either way no big. I own a 94 and have a personal preference for that year. I was in an accident where a Lincoln Navigator T-boned me doing about 50-60 and it pushd the passenger pillar in 22 inches, rolled me over ont he top and I walked away from it with no injuries, short of a couple of minor cuts from flying glass. I actually cut myself more unbuckling my seat belt and putting my hands on the roof (I was upside down) where there was a lot of glass. VERY safe car. I digress ..

I would suggest forgetting EBay. When I replaced my car, I searched all of California on the web. I will only buy a used car if it has complete maintenace records and I can look at, touch, and drive the car. Otherwise I don't know what I will be getting. In the same breath, I will pay extra for the car because of the maintenance records (if it has been properly maintained). Before the final purcahse decision, I went to a lexus dealer and had them pull up the maintenance history on the car. Everything the seller had told me was true. This way I knew every deficiency of the car before I bought it. Right now I have over 205,000 on the car and it purrs. I use the car for long-distance driving every week and have complete faith in how reliable the car is. Please, don't be in a hurry to buy. Search for a well maintained, fully documented car; even if you have to pay a little extra for it. Buy value, not price! Then the cat should last a long time for you. Personally, I think I am going to see 300-400,000 miles out of my car. Even though I would love to own a new LS 430, I get a smile on my face every time I go out to the car, start it and drive away knowing the car is paid for and that it is going to start each and every time I put the key in the ignition.

Good Luck in your search

• 11 months later...

I am the original owner of a '91 LS400 with 82,000 miles. It is Pearl White with blue grey interior. The car is 100% original, paint and interior, garaged, timing belt replaced, and oil changed regularly.

Now for the bad news! The car was parked in my garage when rags with some wood preservative caught fire. There was no mechanical damage to the car since there was very little heat, but the insurance company totalled it. I kept the car and cleaned it thoroughly. There is a trace smell of something when I turn the AC on.

Anyway, I may consider selling it. It runs perfectly. Everything works perfectly including the lcd's in the climated control system. The intererior is immaculate but the exterior has some light staining in the paint. Let me know if anyone there is interested. I live in Pleasant Hill, CA. My email address is terkam@comcast.net

Teek

• 2 years later...
20 grand would be icing on the cake. But however 20.000 miles on the car is brand new for a Lexus. My car is 195.000 Miles and people think it has about 50.000 on it. You definitely got a good deal. Congratulations and post pics if you like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Dust, thank you very much for the kind words. The total figure I quoted was including tax, liscense, LoJak, etc. The care itself was $22,800.00. I had to go sit in the garage and look at that odometer again. I still cannot believe I lucked out and found such a clean car. I was prepared to spend around $30K, however I couldn't come to terms with the dealers for a 2001 LS430 as they wouldn't budge off $34-35K out the door, and some newer cars I saw had much more wear and tear. I have the original wondow sticker-$58K new. I now know the dealer wasn't making much profit on this car, they wanted to move it quickly. Several people today were swarming around it. I can tell you tghis morning I went a benz dealership that had a 2001 LS430 for $29K+, but ir had 86K miles on it. If the car I bought hadn't ben in such stellar shape and such low miles, I'd still be looking!

Will put up some pics soon....

Update 5 yrs later (as of 3/04/10): Still rolling, smooth as a baby's !Removed!. Now @ 49K miles. Nothing has broke, only item I did replace was the 6 CD factory changer. otherwise, this has been an excellent car to drive and own. I keep it clean, and get a lot of compliments on it's look & condition. And I feel safe driving it.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 3/4/2010 at 11:22 PM, Lexuses71 said:

Update 5 yrs later (as of 3/04/10): Still rolling, smooth as a baby's !Removed!. Now @ 49K miles. Nothing has broke, only item I did replace was the 6 CD factory changer. otherwise, this has been an excellent car to drive and own. I keep it clean, and get a lot of compliments on it's look & condition. And I feel safe driving it.

I just bought a 98 with 90k for $6k, it's perfect!

im excited about getting it all cleaned up, perform a few tasteful cosmetic mods.

See you around

Plat0