Cracked Door Handle

1UZ-FE

my 94's drivers door handle has been cracked since i bought the car 6 months ago. i have realized that it is starting to spread. someone recommended using JB weld. thoughts? ideas? any help is appreciated.

Picture_004.sized.jpg

Picture_005.sized.jpg

:D :D

I just fixed my drivers door handle on Sunday afternoon.

The outside handle was fine but one of the brackets which holds the handle had cracked and broken on the inside....It looks a tricky job removing all the handle and frame as theres not alot of room inside the door....I mixed up some Araldite resin and that seems to have done the job.

Good luck with your repairs

:cheers:

Chips.

I mixed up some Araldite resin and that seems to have done the job.

could you please give more details on this product and where u got it and such. i would really like to fix my handle before it breaks.

thx chips

I mixed up some Araldite resin and that seems to have done the job.

could you please give more details on this product and where u got it and such. i would really like to fix my handle before it breaks.

thx chips

Hi again,

The link below has a picture of the products they do...the stuff i used was in the red packet......dont use superglue thats to brittle and cracks...this araldite stuff goes off hard but has a sort of rubber feel to it and doesnt crack.....i fly radio controlled helicopters,well when i dont crash them :lol: :D this stuff helps keep they together :rolleyes:

Its the best stuff ive come across to stick anything to anything :D

CLICK ME FOR INFO

:cheers:

Chips.

Let us know how you get on ;)

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem in my 91 LS400. Mine got so bad that it actually came all apart eventually and I cut myself on it. :cries:

Fortunately, it's quite a simple procedure to replace the door handle. I was able to find a replacement from a junkyard in good shape. I don't recall how much it cost, but it wasn't much at all. The lock mechanism swaps over to the replacement handle with the greatest of ease.

Good luck, and watch those digits or you might get bit!! :o

Mine is beginning to develop similar symptoms. Do you have to take off the interior door panel to change the handle, or can it be done from the outside only? Outside would be sooo much easier than taking off the door panel.

I believe the "outside only" approach is reserved for vandals..

:whistles:

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure I had to do it from the inside. Getting the interior panel off is the hardest part of that job. But once you've done that once or twice it's not that difficult.

I believe the "outside only" approach is reserved for vandals..

:whistles:

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure I had to do it from the inside. Getting the interior panel off is the hardest part of that job. But once you've done that once or twice it's not that difficult.

i have the same exact problem...

I was just in the door tonite. I didn't take any pics this time, but I will in the daylight when I go back in to fix my current problem. My driver window stopped working, again. I'm afraid perhaps my replacement switch has now gone bad.

At any rate, to get the interior panel off, you have to remove the 4 screws along the bottom of the panel, then the 1 screw near the latch area along the jam. This one actually holds a little plastic clip that hooks to the door frame on the backside of the interior panel. I believe there is 1 more screw in the handle area, but my plastic anchor is broken so I don't have to worry about that one <_<

Once you have all the screws removed, you have to tilt the bottom of panel away from the car, then lift the entire thing straight up and out. It may take some gentle wriggling, but it will come out. When you pull it out, don't pull it too far because there are electronics that have to be disconnected, or layed aside for the lights and switches in the door.

That's it though, and to get to the lock assembly, you just have to reach a 10mm socket or wrench in there and loosen the 1 bolt that anchors the lock to the handle and then 2 bolts that anchor the handle to the door.

Good luck! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

my handle is broke were can i order one does anyone know please help i search e bay they do not have a drivers side fron door handle for 1998 ls400 is there a web site i can order it from

thanks

I was on the hunt for a replacement driver's door handle for my '94 last summer. For the earlier LS400s, the driver's door handles were still available from Lexus dealers (do a web search), but usually had to be ordered in. I found the best pricing online from a dealer in the Denver, CO area, but all that was left out there were handles in black, and I would have had to paint one to match.

I ended up finding a good used driver's side front door handle on eBay in the correct color (a lucky find, as mine's the fairly rare "warm gray pearl" that was used on the 5th Anniversary cars.

Paul

e bay has none for my car the dealer here in miami wants 141.90 and junk yards dont have them for some reason NO ONE has any for 1998 I have searched the web for 2 days lol i just put some white girl looking duck tape on it looks fine for now :-)

Yeah, that's what new outside door handles cost. The fact that one can actually *find* a new door handle to buy is pretty amazing, ya' know?

Otherwise, '95-97 parts *might* fit (they're both UCF20 cars, like yours, but the part number is slightly different). Given that '98-00 used parts appear to be hard to find, it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Paul

ya the dealer said it had to be ordered they didnt have it either I found another site were it has all handles for 106.00 the 95-97 parts wont fit i e mailed a guy on e bay he told me he didnt think they would fit :-( if i knew how to up load picture I would show you I fixed it with duct tape lol but not your normal grey duct tape I am just wondering why its so hard to find the part is my car special lol anyway have a great day :-)