Es330 Oil Filter

Ricky

Does anyone know where exactly the oil filter is on the ES330? I've looked everywhere and can't find it. I feel like a dunce since I am mechanically inclined and can't find it! Called Lexus and the fellow I got at service said he "thought" it was towards the aft of the engine hidden by a panel. Well, I can't find any evidence of this.

Ricky, I had the technician show me during my free oil change so I could do it myself next time. It is approximately in the center/bottom of the engine and is behind (above) the cover underneath the car. You have to pop several fasteners to remove the cover. I think you have to pry the center piece of the fastner up and then pop the whole fastener out. The tech says they break the fasteners all the time so you may wish to buy some replacements ahead of time.

Good luck!

greg :cheers:

Thanks guys. That was my suspician. I tried to look behind the shroud without removing it but could not see the filter. I'm just wondering if the whole shroud need be removed? Guess I'll start removing fasteners and see what happens. Why did they ever design it like this? Darn!!!

steviej.....Guess I'm missing something here....You say the filter can be removed by accessing from the "top" of the engine compartment? If so what is the orientation of the filter? Seems like if the shroud is covering access to the filter from below, if I am able to remove it from the top I'll get a flow of oil and quite the mess all over the shroud. Never thought a filter would be such a big thing. Maybe that is why I've heard Lexus charges $40 or more for oil changes..

Ricky,

When you open up the hood, look for the 3-to-1 brown-colored pipe configuration leading from the front side of the engine to the bottom and underneath the passenger side of the car. That pipe configuration is called the "exhaust manifold", and if you've just taken the car out for a drive, the exhaust manifold will feel EXTREMELY hot to the touch :blink: If you peer underneath the exhaust manifold, you should see the black circular-shaped oil filter that can be accessible from where you are (from the hood). Use a filter wrench if needed, and wear long-sleeved clothing to protect your arm(s) from the exhaust manifold (remember that it's REALLY hot). Expect some old oil to spill out when you remove the oil filter, so place an oil pan underneath the filter prior to removal. Unfortunately, this is the way Lexus has designed the location of the oil filter throughout the entire ES generation. Not too smart from a convenience standpoint :wacko:

Hope this info helps out :)

The 1MZ-FE (at least 2002 and up) have a metal bracket/funnel to direct the minimal oil that exits the filter into a stream that should go right down into a catch basin. Don't be discouraged, some will get on the shroud. It will drip for a day or two.

lexusk8 has a good description. Look with a flashlight as the filter is black.

steviej

Hey guys, I found it....eurika! Right where you guys said. Filter being tucked in and black did not help things. It does not seem like such a tough job removing it. Thanks again guys!

• 8 months later...
Hey guys, I found it....eurika! Right where you guys said. Filter being tucked in and black did not help things. It does not seem like such a tough job removing it. Thanks again guys!

How do you reset ECU after change oil?

How do you reset ECU after change oil?

Make sure odometer is set to indicate total miles and not TRIP A or TRIP B.

Put key in ignition

Push and hold the odometer reset button

Turn key to "ON" but don't start engine

Mile indicator will flash, then 00000 will display

Release button and is reset

• 2 weeks later...

electronic control unit

Is it really neccessary to reset the ecu after a simple oil change...overkill???

In case I go with syntetic and will change oil every 10k ml - it's Ok IMO.

Then I have to reset that ECU every 5k ml anyway :(

As I understand it has nothing to do with oil or anything else - just reminder triger for each 5k ml - isn't it?

read 'Maint. req." as "Time to Pay Lexus" :whistles:

this procedure of turning the key to on while holding in the trip button does not reset the ECU, as in engine control unit or electronic control unit. Lets not mix up our terminology. We are not talking the ECU that is reset by disconnecting the negative to the battery for a few minutes.

We are simply reseting the "maintanence required indicator light".

steviej

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

time to change oil filter on my es330 ...

Any tips would be great.

Any pics are very welcome.

I opened hood, but haven't found filter visualy :wacko:

Will oil drips a lot at time of filter replacement?

Will plastic bag around filter help to eliminate oil dripping?

Thanks a lot.

stand in front of the car and peek under the front exhaust manifold. you will see the bottom end of the filter sticking up at you.

hints:

wear long sleeves as the manifold may be hot.

I take a 20oz soda bottle and cut off the top about 1/2 to 3/4 the way up from the bottom. Place this newly made catch basin under the drip spout just under the filter. The drip spout is on the side of the engine block where the filter mounts and will direct the oil right into the your catch basin. The catch basin sits on the crossmember just below. It keeps the oil from getting all over the top side of the plastic splash guard below. You will get about a cup or so of oil that spills out of the filter when unscrewed. When the filter is then extracted, the catch basin can be carefully withdrawn while holding it upright. This will eliminate any oil spillage whatsoever.

steviej

stand in front of the car and peek under the front exhaust manifold.  you will see the bottom end of the filter sticking up at you.

hints:

wear long sleeves as the manifold may be hot.

I take a 20oz soda bottle and cut off the top about 1/2 to 3/4 the way up from the bottom.  Place this newly made catch basin under the drip spout just under the filter.  The drip spout is on the side of the engine block where the filter mounts and will direct the oil right into the your catch basin.  The catch basin sits on the crossmember just below.  It keeps the oil from getting all over the top side of the plastic splash guard below.  You will get about a cup or so of oil that spills out of the filter when unscrewed.  When the filter is then extracted, the catch basin can be carefully withdrawn while holding it upright.  This will eliminate any oil spillage whatsoever.

steviej

Thanks a lot

Filter was found :P and replaced

no any single oil drip - thanks for bottle idea :cheers:

p.s. I subscribled to alldata.com and haven't got so good info vs I got from this forum

• 1 month later...
this procedure of turning the key to on while holding in the trip button does not reset the ECU, as in engine control unit or electronic control unit.  Lets not mix up our terminology.  We are not talking the ECU that is reset by disconnecting the negative to the battery for a few minutes.

We are simply reseting the "maintanence required indicator light".

steviej

Do you have a filter removal tool for denso filter? Sometimes that filter is darn to tight, especially when I get the oil changed from the dealer... I have some some tools but it doesn't fit this denso filter properly..

SL