Master Key Replacement

I am looking at buying at 2001 GS300. The problem is that it only has the valet key. I am buying from a non-Lexus dealer.

I called on Lexus dealer and was told I could get a master key and have it programmed for about $250. I called another and was told I would have to replace the car's computer for around $1300.

Who is correct?

Unfortunately, the $1300 guy is correct. The dealer will have to have the car "reflashed" in order to create a new master. The $250 price is the cost for a new "replacement key" provided that you have an original master.

Not exactly correct. From the factory standpoint, a new ECU would be in order. If you look around the net, you will find certain locksmiths offer a "reflashing" and replacement of all keys for a few hundred dollars. This is the only other solution besides a new ECU if you have no master key.

Here's one place offering the service.

http://home.earthlink.net/~chipcarkeys/id4.html

There may be links posted in past articles on this board. Search around a bit.

Here's one:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=ST&f=5&t=2773&

Gary,

Contact Lexus Corporate @ 1 800 255 3987, and ask for customer satisfaction. Lexus has been authorizing the replacement of the computer at no cost. The owners HAS to buy the keys though, but that is what you had to do anyway.

Be sure to ask for customer satisfaction, and be nice....

Give it a try because it couldn't hurt. Have all your car's information at hand when you call.

I bought my 99 GS4 from a "non-Lexus" dealership too, and Lexus still accommodated me.

Thanks

I bought my 98 GS300 from a private seller, and it came with One valet key only. I called them and asked about the situation, and they informed me I would just need a master key cut using the valet key. When I brought it in, they informed me that a new ECU was required since I did not have the master, and they told me right then they would give me a one time free replacement on it. One week later, I brought it back in, and everything was completed in about 2 hours for $259.00.

I have different info from all other replies.

I recently lost my one and only key to my '94 GS300.

My local Lexus Dealership, DCH Lexus of Oxnard, CA, ordered a replacement key for me over the phone: total cost $89 including $20 for overnight freight from the East Coast. All I had to do was show them proof of my ownership of the car when I collected the key.

Then AAA (as a Plus Member) reimbursed me fully.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy! But that's what just happened (March '04).

Then the key I had lost tuned up found... so now I have two keys :D

Richard

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's info. I thought I would let you know that I bought the car at a discount because of the missing master key. I then got a free ECU and install at the Lexus dealer. The only cost was $250 for the actual key. Apparently you do get one free ECU if the car is still under warranty.

• 2 months later...

I also have a 1993 GS300 with only 1 key and need a spare in case.

I hope mines does not have a transponder, B/C I'm not willing to fork out that much just for a spare.

I'm gonna try a local locksmith before I give the dealership a try. I just need one that can unlock the door and start the car, nothing fancy.

I also have a 1993 GS300 with only 1 key and need a spare in case.

I hope mines does not have a transponder, B/C I'm not willing to fork out that much just for a spare.

I'm gonna try a local locksmith before I give the dealership a try. I just need one that can unlock the door and start the car, nothing fancy.

ONLY 98+ HAVE THE TRANSPONDER :cheers::cheers::cheers:

• 19 years later...