2004 Nav/ml: $50 Gets You Voice Commands?

I have a 2004 ES 330. Over at Sienna Cub, they've found a $50 part that the folks at Carson Toyota can get their hands on. It apparently is a microphone/button that attachs to the Nav System.

Has anyone tried this? Could it work? How do you get behind the Nav system? Thoughts?

I have a 2004 ES 330. Over at Sienna Cub, they've found a $50 part that the folks at Carson Toyota can get their hands on. It apparently is a microphone/button that attachs to the Nav System.

Has anyone tried this? Could it work? How do you get behind the Nav system? Thoughts?

I ordered one from them a few days ago, it should be here any day now. I'll let you know if it works when it arrives.

You did bring up a good point about how to get behind the radio. Has anyone taken apart the 04 dash before?

• 3 weeks later...

It works!

I spent a couple of hours and carefully took apart my dash. Hooking up the microphone itself was very easy. I just plugged it into the back of the Nav unit. It worked right away. I took some pictures. I still have to put my dash back together. I'll try and post the pictures and some instructions soon.

Knipster,

Now that you got that done, try the back-up camera upgrade as well. It's pretty cool.

I posted the wiring diagram a while back. There are a lot of upgrades you can perform on this head unit. Fujitsu-Ten (Eclipse) manufactures this unit for Denso.

Knipster,

Now that you got that done, try the back-up camera upgrade as well. It's pretty cool.

I posted the wiring diagram a while back. There are a lot of upgrades you can perform on this head unit. Fujitsu-Ten (Eclipse) manufactures this unit for Denso.

I just searched through all of your old posts and I can't seem to find the wiring diagram you're speaking of. Could you re-post it? I would be interested in a backup camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Obsidian,

Can you describe your installation procedure? As much detail as possible would be great!

How/Where did you mount the button?

It was actually very simple. All you have to do is plug it into the back of the head-unit. It only fits in one outlet in the back. I haven't placed the microphone or the button yet. I am waiting for my dealer to get an '05 w/ NAV in so I can see where Lexus put the microphone. As for the button, since it's built into the '05 steering wheel, which would cost a fortune to replace, I will be mounting it to the left of the "reset/mode" buttons on the steering wheel.

I don't have pictures yet, but when I finally get this project done I hope to get some posted.

• 2 months later...
It was actually very simple. All you have to do is plug it into the back of the head-unit. It only fits in one outlet in the back. I haven't placed the microphone or the button yet. I am waiting for my dealer to get an '05 w/ NAV in so I can see where Lexus put the microphone. As for the button, since it's built into the '05 steering wheel, which would cost a fortune to replace, I will be mounting it to the left of the "reset/mode" buttons on the steering wheel.

I don't have pictures yet, but when I finally get this project done I hope to get some posted.

So, how did this turn out? Any pictures of where you mounted the button? Also, is this the same kit available at http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1441

• 4 weeks later...

So, how did this turn out? Any pictures of where you mounted the button? Also, is this the same kit available at http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1441

Yes, that's who I got mine from.

I just had a chance to see an '05 ES w/ Nav to see where they put the microphone(s). It's built into the plastic bezel that's around the sunglasses holder in the headliner. I'm going to see how much it'll cost me for that part. I don't have any pictures yet because I've been waiting to see what the '05 looked like. Once I get the part price, I'll re-install and try to get some pics up.

• 2 weeks later...

It was actually very simple. All you have to do is plug it into the back of the head-unit.

Please someone post some pics, how to access the back of the head unit?

have to remove the dashboard to access it or is there anyway to access it the back of the head unit easy way? Also, please post the pic of microphone unit.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...