Instrument cluster clock/climate control

bobsvilla

Does anyone know where to get a good used or rebuilt clock/climate control for 92' LS 400? The LCD display turning black seems to be a very common problem. I have checked with many auto-wreckers, they either don't have any left or are in the same condition (turning black). I had heard there were some retired Air Force personnel in California that rebuilt them.

PS: Given the number of problems, one might think that Lexus would step in and do a recall or sell rebuilt units, $800+ for a new one is a bit steep. thanks, bob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bob- I like the idea of a recall. Bought my '92 LS400 with the same problem. Talked to Lexus dealer in Raleigh, NC and said they could swap for re-conditioned one for about $300. Who knows, it may be coming from that retired guy in CA. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob: I'm having the same problem, with my 94. I check the prices over here in Maryland, and it looks like "raines"'s price of $300 is quite cheap, compared to the $400 ones I've found so far.

HEy guys: Wanted to give you a heads up on what I'm going to do with my climate control system. I'm Paying $150.00 for it to be manufacturered. It's usually a 24hour ordeal. This might be better than spending 395 at the dealer. :D

• Like 1

Sounds very interesting, where are you sending it? Do you think the display only is available, I have a electronics background and would attempt to repair it myself. Maybe if I contacted your reman facility they might sell/advise where to obtain one. This would cut down "out of service time" and shipping delays from Canada. Thanks for the info. Bob

United Radio Services, in Syracuse, NY. I talked to a guy named Jim Steele, and he says its a common issue. I want to get everything redone on the interface. Talk to them, they might even sell you the display screen. If you do talk to Jim, would you mind asking him, whether he can change the colour of the light from Green to blue?

Thanks

Wanted to let you know that I found someone else, who definitely remans. LCD displays, for the LS400.

I gave them a call, earlier today, and they said they can do it, for 295. Give them a call and make sure that they can do it, just in case the same issue comes up as the last dead end i sent you into.

Mikado rebuilds the LCD display for $295. It is easy to replace and you need to send in old unit.

Mikado eng.

1435 Hunt Ave.

S. San Francisco 94080

(650)615-9966

Bob: I have the same problem :!: A Lexus dealer in Toronto quoted a 500.00 price (labour and materials) for replacing the display with a new unit. I agree - Lexus should pay attention to this issue and offer some support($). A question to you and others - is this a user replacable item for someone with mechanical skill? Thanks.

You can take this Unit out of the car yourself. Don't pay for the labour since they are charging $500 Canadian(assuming) for a reman part.

if you want me to direct you on how to do it, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
:twisted: Gee, it looks the same to me. THe only difference between what you shared with us is a street name difference. I didn't have any problems with the address. USPS knew exactly where to find them.

UCF3 - A few more answers please:

Did you get yours repaired here?

Was the work satisfactory?

Was the cost $295.

What did they add for S&H?

How long did they take?

How DO you get it out of the center console?

Bill

Yup, to the question about repair performed where.

Work was pretty good. I had them change the colour of my display lights, and LCD screens to a Blueish/Green.

The cost of $295 includes shipping and handling, overnight express. They say, however you send it to them, they will use the same type of shipping. I did overnight, so they did the same.

They only took a day and a half.

In order to take our the display, you need a flat head screwdriver.

The top part of the vents, take your flat head driver, and pry it open. Once you have it moving, pull it forward, and lift it upwards-towards the windshield. There is a plug with a lever pointing towards you-similar to how a RJ45 Ethernet plug/connected is. Push it down, and start wobbling the plug loose.

Next is the Ashtray. You might want to shift the gear into 1 or 2 at this time. Use a cloth or tape to cover your flat head screw driver, and again,pry it from the base , and then from the top. There should be at least one plug there, or at most two more, depending on whether you have heated seats.

Once you have that done, you'll find two philips head screws on the top side-where the vents sat, and another two where the ashtray was. unscrew them, and separate the screws from the brackets.

Pull the Rack out, and unscrew the unit out. To separate the plug for the climate control, you will need to lift a clip looking thing up, and push a rectangular shaped botton down, and wobble the connector.

Hope this works for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got it repaired. My wife went on a little vacation, so her car was not being used. Mikado did an excellent job, repaired the LCD and replaced some burned out lights. It was fixed and returned (to Canada) within 4 days. Highly recommended. Thanks for all the info, bob

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, Had a call from Eddy at Mikado this afternoon. Someone from British Columbia sent in an A/C display for repair and did not provide a return address. Since I was his only Canadian customer (Manitoba) he thought I might know who sent it. I hope all Americans don't think Canada is that small? Anyway, please call Ed @ (650) 615-9966 or e-mail me.

PS: It was sent via DHL, they could not provide a return address either.

My first time on this site tonight. I've read the string. My 95 LS400 has a bad LCD on the radio, not the climate control. Is Mikado still the source for repair? I'm not brave enough to take it out myself. Any suggestions there?

On a similar subject, the CD changer seems to get lost/can't track sometimes. The problem comes and goes. The dealer is no help. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '91 LS and just got back my clock assembly from Mikado -

works perfectly. They overnighted back to me shrink wrapped in the

box. $295 as quoted before. It's about 15 mins to get it out, gone

one day and about 15 mins for re-assembly. Even if you're not mechanically inclined you should do this yourself. You're saving hundreds of dollars over the dealer ! I assume it will last the remainder of the life of the car....

• 3 months later...

I to used the advice from this forum and shipped my LCD to Mikado for repair. I was very pleased with the result and the service. For some reason, they told me $245 on the phone, and that's what was charged. I had the unit back in the car within a few days. I would highly recomend Mikado fot the LCD repair, I could't find a used unit in the junkyard for that price.

• 3 months later...

The following document have been made available exclusively to Lexus Owners Club members, courtesy of Jim Walker and motjebben.

The first document, was prepared by Jim Walker details the removal of the circuit boards

Instructions for circuit board removal, ready for cold cathode replacement of burnt out needles

The second document, as prepared by motjebben details the installing of the cold cathode needles.

Instruction to fix Lexus Instrument Panel Needles

• 2 months later...