Had Fix For Noise/vibration Installed Today

Anyware

I picked up my GX-470 in late January, 2004, and mine was one that exhibited the noise/vibration between about 65mph and 80mph. I received a call from my dealer on February 19th to inform me that Lexus had a fix (the fix was released on the 19th). They had already ordered it, and I had it installed today. Apparently, the fix involves a number of parts, so they needed the vehicle for most of the day.

I am extremely happy to report that this does fix the problem. This was the only complaint I had with the vehicle. Now, it rides and sounds just like a Lexus. I'm convinced that the fix resulted in a more "buttery" ride at any speed (although it could just be me). I had a smile on my face while driving home from the dealer...no noise at all. Ahhhhh... :)

The service department said that all new GX-470s are being delivered with this "fix" from the factory, so this shouldn't be a problem for the most recent vehicles...and it certainly won't be a problem going forward.

If you've been waiting or wondering if this fix would make a difference, believe me...IT DOES.

I picked up my GX-470 in late January, 2004, and mine was one that exhibited the noise/vibration between about 65mph and 80mph. I received a call from my dealer on February 19th to inform me that Lexus had a fix (the fix was released on the 19th). They had already ordered it, and I had it installed today. Apparently, the fix involves a number of parts, so they needed the vehicle for most of the day.

I am extremely happy to report that this does fix the problem. This was the only complaint I had with the vehicle. Now, it rides and sounds just like a Lexus. I'm convinced that the fix resulted in a more "buttery" ride at any speed (although it could just be me). I had a smile on my face while driving home from the dealer...no noise at all. Ahhhhh... :)

The service department said that all new GX-470s are being delivered with this "fix" from the factory, so this shouldn't be a problem for the most recent vehicles...and it certainly won't be a problem going forward.

If you've been waiting or wondering if this fix would make a difference, believe me...IT DOES.

So, what was the actual problem? We know what the symptoms were, but I wonder why some vehicles have the problem and others don't. The fact that they will incorporate this into all future vehicles means that all vehicles have the potential problem, but don't exhibit the symptoms. Since there are very few options and most GX470s are virtually the same outside of colors, one would expect that this could be a fix they might apply to all vehicles as a preventative measure.

Very interesting. I am perplexed.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but it had something to do with vibration, and the fix has to do with dampening the vibration. There are a number of parts that needed to be added/replaced, which is why they needed the vehicle for awhile.

As for why some vehicles exhibit the problem and others don't, my personal theory is that some people notice it and some people don't. I've tried to show the problem to a number of people, and many of them can't identify any problem at all. I do know that it is more evident in the driver's seat...I think this is partly because the corresponding vibration can be felt through the steering wheel. Even on mine, it was more difficult to identify from the passenger seat.

I can still hear the noise if I am under power between about 70mph and 75mph, but I have to listen VERY closely. If I didn't know the noise ever existed, I doubt that I'd ever notice it.

Here is some of the pertinent information from my service invoice. The descriptions are truncated, but someone here can probably make out what they mean:

A STEERING VIBRATION & DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE

CAUSE: INSTALL UPDATED PARTS FOR VIBRATION

ST3010 STEERING VIBRATION & DRIVELINE

VIBRATION/DRONE

1 41196-60010 DAMPER, DIFFERENTIAL

2 90080-10167 BOLT, WASHER BASED H

1 52380-60061 SUPPORT ASSY, DIFFER

1 51405-35101 COVER S/A, ENGINE UN

1 45219-60090 YOKE, STEERING SLIDI

1 45203-60120 SHAFT SUB-ASSY, STRG

FC: 44,99

PART#: 41196-60010

COUNT: 1

2727 DRONE NOISE, SERVICE BULLETIN ST3010

What dealer did the fix? I would love to contact them and get more info, or at least have my dealer contact them, as mine has not received any info from Lexus/Toyota!

Thanks in advance for your help...

• 1 month later...

VIBRATION/DRONE

Has anyone else had this fix done? Can you tell me if it fixed the problem?

Thanks,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

VIBRATION/DRONE

Has anyone else had this fix done? Can you tell me if it fixed the problem?

Thanks,

Jim

Well, I just bought a GX 470 with 8,000 miles and found that it has the drive train vibration. :angry: The previous owner traded it in for another mfg. SUV due to this vibration after repeated attempts by Lexus to fix it and then he finally just gave up. One customer lost. So now I have this thing and I have had it in twice. They installed the patch kit, new tires, and everyting else they could think of. Its just as bad as its ever been. So this latest patch with the multiple parts does not work on all the vehicles with this problem. Headed back to the dealer tomorrow to find out what Lexus proposes to do now. Will have to probably have the dealer rep back down - he has already dealt with this before with the previous owner. This is completely unacceptable for a Luxury vehicle. If they can't fix it this time, that will be customer #2 lost forever due to the same vehicle - I'll trade this quick. Then it will end up with customer #3 and back to square 1. The relentless pursuit of perfection - they should never have released this vehicle into the public domain.

If you have looking at a GX 470 be careful and drive it several times at various speed.