00 Rx300 - Error Codes & Overdrive

smitty1037

I own a 00 RX300 AWD. Love the car, 255K miles on it, almost no problems.

I had an issue, misfire caused gas to go into front catalytic converter and destroy it. My mechanic (family mechanic for twenty years)

gutted the cat. I get the error codes listed below. Which error codes are causing my car to go into this 'limp home' mode and not

shift into overdrive?

P0300 --- RANDOM MISS

P0304 - cylinder four misfire

P0171 - too lean

P1130 - MANUFACTURER CONTROL FUEL AIR METERING

P1150 - fuel air metering again

My theory is that replacing the front cat will eliminate all of the error codes except possibly the P0304. I believe there may be a bad

fuel injector on #4....

Help is appreciated in advance. This is a great site.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a problem on my 99 like you have said, right now it won't even drive.

It pulled a few codes can't remember but, bank two lean, failed cat or ignition system malfunction. Anyway I think the catalytic converter, plugs and tune will fix the problem.

by the codes you need to fix the missfire first, that could be causing all of the other codes...cylinder four coil pack is probably bad...replace that and reset all codes and you will probably be good to go...

by the codes you need to fix the missfire first, that could be causing all of the other codes...cylinder four coil pack is probably bad...replace that and reset all codes and you will probably be good to go...

Ok, I'm going to pull the plugs first,see what they look like and go from there. Thanks for the quick answer.

It seems to me that if the cat is the culprit the plugs should all be normal or look similar, and if the coil is bad it will show on that cylinder individually. Hopefully

the easiest thing is to switch the coil pack from cylinder 4 to another and see if the code changes...The other codes are because of missfires and raw gas going to the converters...

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 00 RX300 AWD. Love the car, 255K miles on it, almost no problems.

I had an issue, misfire caused gas to go into front catalytic converter and destroy it. My mechanic (family mechanic for twenty years)

gutted the cat. I get the error codes listed below. Which error codes are causing my car to go into this 'limp home' mode and not

shift into overdrive?

P0300 --- RANDOM MISS

P0304 - cylinder four misfire

P0171 - too lean

P1130 - MANUFACTURER CONTROL FUEL AIR METERING

P1150 - fuel air metering again

My theory is that replacing the front cat will eliminate all of the error codes except possibly the P0304. I believe there may be a bad

fuel injector on #4....

Help is appreciated in advance. This is a great site.

You have a KNOWN problem so why not tackle that first and see where things "go".

My plugs are looking poor, the cylinder 6 coil pack is also in poor condition after what looks like years of the oil cap leaking and soaking the coil and plug area. I also cant get the engine trouble code to re-appear. When the lexus is started it has a whining noise that sounds like a power steering and started about the same time as the tranny problems. When the transmission is engaged it will drive for about a mile and then the motor just rev's up with the vehicle not moving at all. Almost like a slipping clutch.

• 3 months later...