2000 Lexus Es300 Belt Squeaking

Swaseem

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 and got both of the belts changed recently. There was no noise in the first couple of weeks but now I moved to Kentucky from Louisiana and there is a squeaking noise coming from the car mostly in the morning and sometimes in the evening too. I was thinking it might be due to the extremely cold weather but what would be the solution ? <_<

Any help would be appreciated! <_<

Thanks everyone!

Regards.

don't apply any aftermarket product to stop belt squeal.

Did you have OEM belts put on or aftermarket?

Just take the car in (to a Toyota or Lexus dealership) and explain the situation. Have them tighten the belts. They may even do it on good faith to gain you as a new customer.

steviej

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 ES300, and had my father help me change my belts a couple of weeks ago. We changed the belts by going thru the wheel well, and it wasn't too bad of a job.

Problem is I am having the same squeaks now, mentioned below. I'm assuming that the belts need to be tightened (they were after market), but can't find much info about this.

Seems clear that there is no auto-tensioning mechanism, so I'll have to shift some accessory to do this job. Is this a big job? Will I have to put the car up again? Which accessories need to / can be adjusted?

Thanks in advance.

-Luka

On my 2001 ES300, the alternator belt tension is changed by an adjustment bolt on the side of the alternator that is accessible from under the hood. Adjusting belt tension requires that the alternator mounting bolt next to the tension adjustment be loosened slightly before adjusting. As I recall, the mounting bolt on my car is 14mm atf and the adjustment bolt is 12mm atf. I do not know of any way to adjust tension on my power steering belt other than going through the wheel well access panel.

• 2 weeks later...

when I replaced the belts on my car I noticed a lot of rubber build up on the pulleys so I carefully scraped off what I could and then used a wire brush to finish them. All the noise I had before was gone. Also brand new belts go on a little tighter than normal as they will stretch as they break in...