Nav Override Hack

I have been all through these forums reading about how to make my NAV work while driving. Didn't Lexus have enough forethought to consider my passenger can work the NAV while I drive? Anyway, I can't get into the menus doing the menu, volume, left top, left bottom, left top, left bottom trick. I tried another method of hitting info then turning the lights off and on 4 times. That method got me into a screen to run diagnostics but that was all I could do from there. Am I just dloing something wrong on the first method? Did Lexus remove that screen? Will the over ride even work on the 2009? Am I going about this whole thing wrong? I read somewhere else to take a 5.1 disk with 7.1 maps and then the hack would work but I have no idea how to replace the disk or where to get the 5.1 with 7.1 maps. I "assume" but torrent would be the place to look for such a thing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The override screen was taken out after version 5.1, so you would need to create and load a hybrid disc if you wished to use the override.

Where is the disk located in the vehicle? What steps are taken to change it? Where can I get a 5.1 disk? I assume I can capture both disks to iso, replac the 5.1 to map data with my 7.1 map data and be good to go?

Once the 5.1 disk is in there would I be able to get into the screen using the left top, left bottom, left top, left bottom? Currently that bring up nothing for me.

Where is the disk located in the vehicle? What steps are taken to change it? Where can I get a 5.1 disk? I assume I can capture both disks to iso, replac the 5.1 to map data with my 7.1 map data and be good to go?

Once the 5.1 disk is in there would I be able to get into the screen using the left top, left bottom, left top, left bottom? Currently that bring up nothing for me.

The disc is located in the trunk of the vehicle, underneath the hidden storage compartment. You can actually just replace the loading.kwi file in the 7.1 disc with the one from the 5.1 disc. I think you may find some 5.1 discs on ebay. You would first clear the memory on the nav unit to get rid of the 7.1 software that resides in memory, and then insert the hybrid or 5.1 disc. I'll send you some more info.

• 2 weeks later...
You would first clear the memory on the nav unit to get rid of the 7.1 software that resides in memory, and then insert the hybrid or 5.1 disc. I'll send you some more info.

I finally got all my 5.1 disk from ebay. How do I clear the memory?

The override screen was taken out after version 5.1, so you would need to create and load a hybrid disc if you wished to use the override.

In my vehicle I upgraded to ver 7.1 last year and the hack still works...

All I have to do is...

press dvd, then upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left corner and lower right corner and the service menu pops up and you can press override which will allow you to use the nav while in motion

Bainzey, you have a generation 2/3 navigation system, which never lost the override hack.

The OP has a 2009 RX350 with a Generation 5 system, which lost access to the override menu after 5.1. To regain this feature, he has to either use a 5.1 disc, or can use a hybrid 8.1/5.1 disc.

I've finally gotten the 8.1/5.1 disc to work with the generation 5 system.

Bainzey, you have a generation 2/3 navigation system, which never lost the override hack.

The OP has a 2009 RX350 with a Generation 5 system, which lost access to the override menu after 5.1. To regain this feature, he has to either use a 5.1 disc, or can use a hybrid 8.1/5.1 disc.

Yup gen 3... IC, so it's not only the version of the dvd but rather the gen of the Nav System, in conjuction with that affects this... Interesting...

Okay, I got the .51 disk from ebay stuck it in the car and tried to get to the secret menus. they will not come up. I am getting really frustrated. I crank the car, press menu, volume, top left corner, bottom left corner, top left corner, bottom right corner and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? This is a 2009 RX350 if I failed to mention that before. PLEASE HELP!

Though you have switch the navigation dvd, the newer software is already installed on the navigation system. When you insert the 5.1, the nav system realizes that it has a higher software version number, and so does not load the software present on that disc. Therefore the override menu is still not present.

You have to CLEAR the software from the nav system, and then install the software on the 5.1 disc. You can remove the nav system fuse for 5 minutes with no disc present in the drive. Then reinsert the fuse, power up the car, and then the nav system should ask for a disc to load the software. Then insert the 5.1.

You will most likely notice that a lot of streets will be missing. That's why people run hybrid discs, to retain all the new streets that are added each year. Send me a pm if you're interested for more info.

We bought a new 2009 RX350 a four days ago. As soon as I can figure out where and how to get a 5.1 disk, I intend to make a 5.1/8.1 hybrid. I do have two questions I have not seen answered in other posts.

1 - Is there a downside when using a hybrid disk? Are any features lost that appear in later versions? Does the appearance of any of the screens change? etc.

2 - Does the override that becomes available also allow full use of the Bluetooth telephone interface?

As an aside, although purchasing a 2009 (it is still 2008) model with only 25 miles on it would have led me to believe it would have included the latest DVD, it did not. It came with ver 7.1. The build date was August and I believe that was before version 8.1 was issued. We have already approached the dealer about this but have not heard back from them. So far the dealer has been exceptionally accommodating and professional (a very rare experience) so I am anxious to see what they do.

1 - Is there a downside when using a hybrid disk? Are any features lost that appear in later versions? Does the appearance of any of the screens change? etc.

2 - Does the override that becomes available also allow full use of the Bluetooth telephone interface?

As an aside, although purchasing a 2009 (it is still 2008) model with only 25 miles on it would have led me to believe it would have included the latest DVD, it did not. It came with ver 7.1. The build date was August and I believe that was before version 8.1 was issued. We have already approached the dealer about this but have not heard back from them. So far the dealer has been exceptionally accommodating and professional (a very rare experience) so I am anxious to see what they do.

1- Because you are downgrading to older software, the Warning Message will not go away on it's own on startup, and instead you will have to press an I Agree button each time your start the vehicle. But since you are most likely going to activate the override menu, you would be touching the screen anyway. You can also press the radio button to bypass the I Agree button.

2- I believe that depends on the vehicle as it is executed differently on the different models. Some will and some won't.

The 2009 ES350 loaner I received a few days ago had the 8.1 disc, but I didn't check the production date. The 8.1 disc just went on sale in November, and perhaps the disc wasn't ready for your vehicle in time. It's usually up to the dealer's discretion to upgrade the system, so you are taking the best approach. Good luck!

1- Because you are downgrading to older software, the Warning Message will not go away on it's own on startup, and instead you will have to press an I Agree button each time your start the vehicle. But since you are most likely going to activate the override menu, you would be touching the screen anyway. You can also press the radio button to bypass the I Agree button.

2- I believe that depends on the vehicle as it is executed differently on the different models. Some will and some won't.

The 2009 ES350 loaner I received a few days ago had the 8.1 disc, but I didn't check the production date. The 8.1 disc just went on sale in November, and perhaps the disc wasn't ready for your vehicle in time. It's usually up to the dealer's discretion to upgrade the system, so you are taking the best approach. Good luck!

Ok, new poster, just bought my first Lexus on Saturday, 2009 RX 350 with everything. My question is this; If I successfully load the hybrid disc, what is the "code" you have to put in to enable the override? Also, I am assuming that if downgrading the software version breaks the bluetooth, I can simply reload the original disc that came with the car and all will be back the way it is now. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for all your help...

I just built a hybrid disk (5.1/7.1) for our new 2009 RX350. Searching the various forums indicated that the correct fuse to pull for de-energizing the Nav is a 7.5 amp fuse titled "TV". My 2009 RX350 has no fuse with this title but it does have a 7.5 amp fuse titled "Radio 2" that the owner's manual states feeds the Nav system (there is another fuse that the manual states feeds the display but I am assuming it is not this fuse).

I pulled the "Radio 2" fuse, left it out for almost 20 minutes, but the system did not seem to reset. Therefore I have to assume it is another fuse but what fuse is it?

Interestingly, the hybrid disk did not work probably because I used DVD-R instead of DVD+R media (I'll fix that problem tomorrow). When I finally reinstalled the disk that came with the car (ver 7.1), the system seemed to reset on its own as all my custom POI's disappeared.

I just built a hybrid disk (5.1/7.1) for our new 2009 RX350. Searching the various forums indicated that the correct fuse to pull for de-energizing the Nav is a 7.5 amp fuse titled "TV". My 2009 RX350 has no fuse with this title but it does have a 7.5 amp fuse titled "Radio 2" that the owner's manual states feeds the Nav system (there is another fuse that the manual states feeds the display but I am assuming it is not this fuse).

I pulled the "Radio 2" fuse, left it out for almost 20 minutes, but the system did not seem to reset. Therefore I have to assume it is another fuse but what fuse is it?

Interestingly, the hybrid disk did not work probably because I used DVD-R instead of DVD+R media (I'll fix that problem tomorrow). When I finally reinstalled the disk that came with the car (ver 7.1), the system seemed to reset on its own as all my custom POI's disappeared.

The fuse you are looking for is labeled Radio 1. The fuse is located under the hood on the driver side in the square fuse box. This fuse in my RX is 15a. I only had to pull the fuse for about 1 minute. Do 5 to be sure.

I used DVD+R DL Verbatim disks and they work great in my Gen 4 5.1/6.1 hybrid disc. I tried Memorex discs first, but over half of them failed while trying to set layer sizes. :(

Ok, new poster, just bought my first Lexus on Saturday, 2009 RX 350 with everything. My question is this; If I successfully load the hybrid disc, what is the "code" you have to put in to enable the override? Also, I am assuming that if downgrading the software version breaks the bluetooth, I can simply reload the original disc that came with the car and all will be back the way it is now. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for all your help...

To override with a hybrid disc:

1. Press Menu

2. Press Volume

3. Press Upper left hand corner of screen

4. Press Lower left hand corner of screen

5. Press Upper left hand corner of screen

6. Press Lower left hand corner of screen

You will then have the service menu.

Press and hold the "override" button for about 4 seconds and it will beep.

Press OK.

You need to do this every time you start the car if you want to be able to use the Nav while driving.

If you put your newer 7.1 or 8.1 version back in, the system will reload just like it used to be...no worries.

Important Safety Tip: Do not mess with other functions in the service menu. People have -permanently- pooched their Nav by messing around in there.

~Brian

To override with a hybrid disc:

1. Press Menu

2. Press Volume

3. Press Upper left hand corner of screen

4. Press Lower left hand corner of screen

5. Press Upper left hand corner of screen

6. Press Lower left hand corner of screen

You will then have the service menu.

Press and hold the "override" button for about 4 seconds and it will beep.

Press OK.

You need to do this every time you start the car if you want to be able to use the Nav while driving.

If you put your newer 7.1 or 8.1 version back in, the system will reload just like it used to be...no worries.

Important Safety Tip: Do not mess with other functions in the service menu. People have -permanently- pooched their Nav by messing around in there.

~Brian

Hey Gang, I've been reading this and I have 8.1 version in my nav. From my understanding is if I create hybrid disk using the 5.1 kwi file and my 8.1 I should be able to access the overide screen and have the latest maps can anyone confirm being successful with 8.1 hybrid?

any help and input is greatly appreciated

thank

Hi Step Hen for whatever reason I cannot send you a pm can you give me instructions on how to create a hybrid disk for 8.1 thanks your help is most appreciated

Ed

Hi Step Hen for whatever reason I cannot send you a pm can you give me instructions on how to create a hybrid disk for 8.1 thanks your help is most appreciated

Ed

Stephen has posted his email on this forum several times so I don't think he will mind:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

Ed

Ed, you needed 2 posts or more to send a pm. I followed the same instructions creating the 8.1 hybrid as found for the 7.1 hybrid, simply replacing the loading.kwi file with the one found onthe 5.1 disc. Be sure you have the loading.kwi file from the same gen nav system though.

Stephen has posted his email on this forum several times so I don't think he will mind:

discquestions AT gmail DOT com

Thanks for the assist.

Step Hen is saying he has managed to make 5.1/8.1 work for Gen 5 systems. He would be a good one to check with on if it just needs the loading.kwi from 5.1 or if it also needs other files.

Hey!

I have the same question:

Does anyone have the 5.1 version and can email/pm it 2 me? I have the 2009 RX 350, I belive it mounts the Gen 5 Nav.

...and several other ones:

1) will I have a problem by making the hybrid w my mac?

2) do I need to burn the hybrid it at a specific speed or use any particular "trick"?

3) is "radio 1" the correct fuse?

4) any news down the pipe about a permanent fix? ...short of cutting a wire, I can't mess w warranty.

Thanks a million!!!

Elliethebug

Step Hen is saying he has managed to make 5.1/8.1 work for Gen 5 systems. He would be a good one to check with on if it just needs the loading.kwi from 5.1 or if it also needs other files.

Hey!

I have the same question:

Does anyone have the 5.1 version and can email/pm it 2 me? I have the 2009 RX 350, I belive it mounts the Gen 5 Nav.

...and several other ones:

2) do I need to burn the hybrid it at a specific speed or use any particular "trick"?

4) any news down the pipe about a permanent fix? ...short of cutting a wire, I can't mess w warranty.

Thanks a million!!!

Elliethebug

One more question did the 2009 hybrid 5.1/8.1 hack work for Step Hen? Did s/he need any more files?

Thanks!

elliethebug

New member here. Glad I found this one. Lots of great info. I have been posting over on the ClubLexus Forum.

Have a 06 LX470 with Gen 4 Navigation unit. Have the 5.1 version with the override function. Just purchased the 8.1 version and have tried to make a hybrid disc using the info from clublexus. I don't think I am having a problem with the burning process, but not sure right now. Have had problems with it not working right even though it is loading.

Has anyone make a working hybrid with Gen 4, 5.1 & 8.1?

Please read my post from here and if you can suggest anything, I would really appreciate any help.

My Post from Club Lexus

One more question did the 2009 hybrid 5.1/8.1 hack work for Step Hen? Did s/he need any more files?

Thanks!

elliethebug

Step says that the Gen 5 navigation system works fine as both a 5.1/7.1 and 5.1/8.1 hybrid disc.

Search his posts, but I believe that he said he only had to replace the loading.kwi from 5.1 and no other files.

There are several people who have posted loading.kwi files from the 5.1 Nav discs on the internet, and I saw several on ToyotaNation. Loading is a 50mb file and does not lend itself to emailing very well.

You may want to Google loading.kwi

I have read where people have used a Mac to burn Nav discs successfully

The only "trick" that seems to really matter in burning Nav discs is using quality media. Most have better luck with Verbatim DVD+R DL discs.

On my Gen 4 system in my 2006 RX400, the correct fuse is Radio 1 under the hood in the square fuse box. Your Gen 5 system may be different...

There are some people collecting signatures and sending them to Lexus to try to convince them to remove the blocks on their Nav systems. Again, google something like Lexus Navigation Sucks and you will find it.

I personally think that Lexus Legal department has decided that disabling the Navigation system is required to protect themselves from lawsuits. Once a legal department has determined anything, it is very difficult to get them to change, and no executive wants to go on record for overruling the Legal Department in a situation where the company then becomes liable for the actions of consumers.

Frankly, I think Lexus has a point: people have shown themselves willing to sue anyone and everyone. If Lexus were to enable their Nav systems, people would crash because they were goofing around with the Nav, and Lexus would get sued by both parties.

If I were the CEO of Lexus, I would have the Nav systems disabled too.