Shift Lock Control Problem

qha_vn

now the shift lever can not move out of P even if i do step on brake and the brake light is on. I remove the trim and notice that when shifter in P, no brake press, ignition is ON the actuator that releases shift lock intermitently releases and locks immediately. As if we step on brake and release immediately. But when i step on brake, the actuator does not work to release shift lever. I have to use the "shift lock override" all the time

i tested the actuator with 12v directly from battery, it still works perfectly. stoplight switch seems okay as the lights are still going on on brake. the last thing i have not touched (test) is the shift lock computer as i dont know how to test it actually

can anyone please advise me on how to fix this. thanks a lot

This may not be the answer, but you never know. One time I was replacing the ACV valve on my P/S pump, and forgot to disconnect the battery. So when I got the work done, I could not get the shifter out of gear. Sitting up on ramps-big problem. I found that I had a blown fuse or link inside the fuse box high on the drivers side inside the engine. I walked to the Toyota dealer, and got a replacement 15A fuse. Cost $14. But all has been peachy to this day. Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever fix this? my LS has just started to have the same symptoms. is there anyway to just disable it? The shift lock works intermittently. Usually after 2-3 minutes.

• 1 year later...

I unplugged all the jumpers on that panel and replugged them back. None of them were burn out, but my problem very similar to the OP's was solved!

Did you ever fix this? my LS has just started to have the same symptoms. is there anyway to just disable it? The shift lock works intermittently. Usually after 2-3 minutes.

I unplugged all the jumpers on that panel and replugged them back. None of them were burn out, but my problem very similar to the OP's was solved!

having the same problem i was told if you press the brake pedal while lisening by the shifter you should hear a click; i dont hear the click so i think the switch is bad any idea what the switch is called?