'98 Ls400 Says My Vvt System Is Malfunctioning (error Code P1349)

jasond86

ok so like the heading says i have a 1998 LS400 with about 150k miles.

a while ago my check engine light came on, at autozone they told me it was my O2 sensor, i didn't think about it too much because i was told (probably incorrectly) that its no big deal.

about a week ago my VSC light came on and my car started idling low and shaking a lil bit.

i took it to my mechanic and he says the diagnostics test came up with 7 codes, one of them was the O2 sensor, one of them was the P1349 VVT system malfunction (bank 1), and there were 5 other codes he said were related to the VVT malfunction.

he says because he doesn't have the literature on it he can't begin to fix it.

he called his buddy at the toyota dealership, his buddy said it's been so long since that code came up that he has no idea what to do about it.

that makes it sound to me like it's gonna be expensive, I cant afford to keep paying people to not fix anything, so if someone has encountered this before and can tell me what needs to be done it'd be great.

ok so long story short anything anyone could tell me, or any suggestions on a good place to find this info would be very helpful. even wrong info is better than what i know right now.

thank you all very much

HI Jasond86 found this info on the internet on another forum. I know its no help but it does look like it may be narrowed down to three possible components:

ECM

OCV

VVT Controller..

Good Luck

Q. Greetings, My vehicle just failed a smog test due to a fault code P1349. What is this and how can I repair it?

1998 Lexus SC 400

4.0 liter V-8

Auto transmission

ABS

P/S, A/C, Cruise control

Thanks in advance,

Greg

A. DTC P1349 is "VVT (Variable Valve Timing) System Malfunction (Bank 1)".

VVT system controls the intake valve timing to proper timing in response to driving condition. ECM controls OCV (Oil Control Valve) to make the intake valve timing properly, and, oil pressure controlled with OCV is supplied to the VVT controller, and then, VVT controller changes relative position between the camshaft and the crankshaft.

There is little you yourself can do to test or repair this system so a Lexus Dealer is your best bet to get it repaired.

ECM or OCV huh? thank you, its a start. i'm gonna read up on that a little bit, hopefully thats what it is.

ok so i just got back from talking to my mechanic, he gave me the complete list of codes the obd came back with;

P0300 - random/multiple cylinder misfire

P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire

P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire

P0305 - cylinder 5 misfire

P0307 - cylinder 7 misfire

P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1, sensor 1) <---- the only one that was easy to fix

P1349 - Variable Valve Timing system malfunction (bank 1)

ok so now i know what to start looking for but the problem is far from resolved, so any additional input anyone can give me would be awesome, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion the first thing you should change is the faulty O2 sensor, reset codes and go from there. If they come back, you will have to have it diagnosed by an expert. You could also read up on the WT controller and see if it can be cleaned etc. Usually when codes say something in a bank failed is that the component needs replacing as the 02 sensor went in mine.

CPR

Good Morning: I am also looking for help on this P1349 Code> I have a 98LS 400 130K miles. Have you been able to solve the issue> I have taken mine to two mechanics, one is my local boy who likes to fix pick up trucks, the Lexus dealer charged me 100bucks to tell me nothing that I did not know. I cant believe I actually paid them. The dealer "thinks" it "might" be the V V T controller and says he has to take the engine apart to check it. He wants 1000 bucks to check his theory. I had the timing belt changed in Dec. 06 at 100K miles. One of my buddies is a mechanic for Toyota and will be coming over to help me out. Did you have any luck with the O sensor? That sounds like a easy and affordable option.

ok so like the heading says i have a 1998 LS400 with about 150k miles.

a while ago my check engine light came on, at autozone they told me it was my O2 sensor, i didn't think about it too much because i was told (probably incorrectly) that its no big deal.

about a week ago my VSC light came on and my car started idling low and shaking a lil bit.

i took it to my mechanic and he says the diagnostics test came up with 7 codes, one of them was the O2 sensor, one of them was the P1349 VVT system malfunction (bank 1), and there were 5 other codes he said were related to the VVT malfunction.

he says because he doesn't have the literature on it he can't begin to fix it.

he called his buddy at the toyota dealership, his buddy said it's been so long since that code came up that he has no idea what to do about it.

that makes it sound to me like it's gonna be expensive, I cant afford to keep paying people to not fix anything, so if someone has encountered this before and can tell me what needs to be done it'd be great.

ok so long story short anything anyone could tell me, or any suggestions on a good place to find this info would be very helpful. even wrong info is better than what i know right now.

thank you all very much

Good Morning: I am also looking for help on this P1349 Code> I have a 98LS 400 130K miles. Have you been able to solve the issue> I have taken mine to two mechanics, one is my local boy who likes to fix pick up trucks, the Lexus dealer charged me 100bucks to tell me nothing that I did not know. I cant believe I actually paid them. The dealer "thinks" it "might" be the V V T controller and says he has to take the engine apart to check it. He wants 1000 bucks to check his theory. I had the timing belt changed in Dec. 06 at 100K miles. One of my buddies is a mechanic for Toyota and will be coming over to help me out. Did you have any luck with the O sensor? That sounds like a easy and affordable option.

Unfortunately he had the code for the O2 sensor, whereas P1349 is purely the VVT on bank 1. So probably not a solution for you unless you also have P0135 showing.

Your buddy will be able to help out for sure, but he needs to log into the toyota tech service and download the diagnostics page DI-136 (which also contains reference to other pages). This will then give you the flow chart you need to work through the problem. It isn't too complicated but you need to follow the instructions. Or you can log in yourself as stated in my signature.

Last night we tested both OCV for voltage> TSB indicates requirement for 5 volts. Left bank was only reading .002 or nothing. Unable to test the right side OCV voltage for comparision since the engine would not run with mass air flow disconnected. Removed the left OCV, tested action and it appears to operate under 12V charge> Cleaned it with carb cleaner and reistalled. Voltage is now to specifications and idle is good, cleared all MIL Codes including the ones we got when removing the air intake covers to access the right bank OCV. Idled egnine in garage with no return of CEL or V V T indicators Plan on driving vehicle to work today and will reply with outcome at road speeds. So far the repair has cost me two beers. May have been a dirty OCV, stuck OCV or a bad harness connection.

Unfortunately he had the code for the O2 sensor, whereas P1349 is purely the VVT on bank 1. So probably not a solution for you unless you also have P0135 showing.

Your buddy will be able to help out for sure, but he needs to log into the toyota tech service and download the diagnostics page DI-136 (which also contains reference to other pages). This will then give you the flow chart you need to work through the problem. It isn't too complicated but you need to follow the instructions. Or you can log in yourself as stated in my signature.

Plan on driving vehicle to work today and will reply with outcome at road speeds. So far the repair has cost me two beers. May have been a dirty OCV, stuck OCV or a bad harness connection.

Apparently the ECM can cope with this problem occasionally. To quote the DI-136 document

"DTC P1349 and P1354 are also output after the foreign object

is caught in some part of the system in the engine oil and the

system returns to normal in a short time. As ECM controls so

that foreign objects are ejected, there is no problem about VVT.

There is also no problem since the oil filter should get the foreign

object in the engine oil."

Hopefully that's all that happened in your case.

Well I was happy for about five miles when the CEL and VSC MIL came back on. Idle speed dropped below 500 at the red light. Drove to work at normal 60MPH with no problem. Got in the parking lot and engine running rough again. I am trying to find an OCV on the internet somewhere but part stores dont seem to stock em. I think I attached the file I was using to trace issue. I was unable to find the DI 136 document you are referring too.

Plan on driving vehicle to work today and will reply with outcome at road speeds. So far the repair has cost me two beers. May have been a dirty OCV, stuck OCV or a bad harness connection.

Apparently the ECM can cope with this problem occasionally. To quote the DI-136 document

P_1349_Lexus_LS400.pdf

Stopped at the local Lexus dealer on the way home from work to get help with finding the OCV filter. This little filter costs $8.00 but is located under the VVT cover so it cost a million dollars to change it out. The service desk writer suggested I pour a bucket of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase in an attempt to clean the filter. Purchased a can of seafoam at Advance Auto Parts and will try this over the weekend.

Well I was happy for about five miles when the CEL and VSC MIL came back on. Idle speed dropped below 500 at the red light. Drove to work at normal 60MPH with no problem. Got in the parking lot and engine running rough again. I am trying to find an OCV on the internet somewhere but part stores dont seem to stock em. I think I attached the file I was using to trace issue. I was unable to find the DI 136 document you are referring too.

ok so i think i finally figured out what was wrong with my car. after paying 400 dollars for diagnostics at the dealership they say i need a new ocv, new spark plugs, and a new timing belt. im picking it up from the dealership today and taking it to my usual mechanic, i guess i'll have to wait and see how that works out. hopefully that info might be helpful to anyone with the same problem

Jason: When you get your timing belt replaced ask your mechanic to replace the OCV filter that is located behind the Oil Control Valve. That is one of the possible issues with mine. The filter only costs $8.00 and if it gets clogged up with oil sludge can cause a decrease in oil pressure to the OCV. I poured a can of seafoam in the crankcase on Friday to see if cleaning the oil will help. Have not had time to check this strategy out yet. Hope to have an answer by Wed night.

ok so i think i finally figured out what was wrong with my car. after paying 400 dollars for diagnostics at the dealership they say i need a new ocv, new spark plugs, and a new timing belt. im picking it up from the dealership today and taking it to my usual mechanic, i guess i'll have to wait and see how that works out. hopefully that info might be helpful to anyone with the same problem

Well I fixed MY problems with the V V T. After using the seafoam product and driving about 300 miles the CEL and VTC lights would go on and off. Yesterday, when I started the vehicle the lights were off and I made it to a dealer. I traded the car for a 2002 LX430 with 46K miles. Combining all the pending issues I was looking at I decided this was the best solution. VVT issues, power steering pump, tires, non working AC, inside trunk release switch bad and weak hood struts it was time to make a change. I was looking at investing $4000 in repairs on a ten year old car.

• 8 months later...

Jason, I have a LS400 that is getting the same codes. Did you fix your issue? Please let me know

joels400

• 1 year later...
sorry to hear of your continuing troubles.

Attached is the document I was referring too; I will have a look into the differences if any exist a bit later on today.

The document that you attached... is it from an online repair manual? If so, which one? I need something like that for my 98 GS400.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...