Gx 470 Front Turn Signal Bulb Fix

seatown7

Greetings. I had the front turn signal bulb burn out on my 2003 GX recently. I started researching the fix on this board and found that this bulb seems to blow frequently. I also discovered that people had a wide variety of solutions that seemed to be mostly expensive and some difficult. My local Lexus service rep told me that "things have to be removed in order to get to it. It will take about 45 minutes and will cost about $55." I didn't believe him so I spoke to a different service rep at the same dealership. She told me that if you laid on the ground beneath the car you could change the bulb from there. I bought the bulb at Lexus for $12.

Luckily the dork at the parts counter gave me the wrong bulb. Frustrated, I went to my local Schuck's Auto Parts and did some homework. Turns out this is a very common bulb, the 1156A (for Amber) and I got 2 for about $3.50. I swapped the bulb out in about 3 minutes myself in the driveway, on my back, from under the front bumper. Very easy. Needless to say, the $12 bulb is returning to Lexus today.

Anyway, hope this helps others with the burnt bulb issue.

Bill

Bill,

You must be my savior :)

Thank you sooooooooooo much. My bulb/blinker also blew this weekend; I did go and purchase the bulb from the auto part store. However, when I opened my hood (for the first time) this morning I was thinking there is no way.............I was going to call and make an appt at the dealer today and thought to check here first for great people like you :)

So now I know what to do..........I LOVE THIS FORUM, IT'S SO USEFUL FOR little girls like me :)

Kim

Greetings. I had the front turn signal bulb burn out on my 2003 GX recently. I started researching the fix on this board and found that this bulb seems to blow frequently. I also discovered that people had a wide variety of solutions that seemed to be mostly expensive and some difficult. My local Lexus service rep told me that "things have to be removed in order to get to it. It will take about 45 minutes and will cost about $55." I didn't believe him so I spoke to a different service rep at the same dealership. She told me that if you laid on the ground beneath the car you could change the bulb from there. I bought the bulb at Lexus for $12.

Luckily the dork at the parts counter gave me the wrong bulb. Frustrated, I went to my local Schuck's Auto Parts and did some homework. Turns out this is a very common bulb, the 1156A (for Amber) and I got 2 for about $3.50. I swapped the bulb out in about 3 minutes myself in the driveway, on my back, from under the front bumper. Very easy. Needless to say, the $12 bulb is returning to Lexus today.

Anyway, hope this helps others with the burnt bulb issue.

Bill

Funny, I just had to replace my turn signal as well. I went in from the top, after removing the plastic cover. It tool me about 10-15 minutes. My dealer offered to do it for $55, but I can't possibly drink enough coffee, bottled water and diet coke to make it up...not even if I ate more pretzels and biscotti.

As for frequently blown bulbs, you may want to research LED replacements; the supposedly blow less frequently.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Awesome fix. I went to Auto Zone and they dont carry the 1156NA, only the 1156 which is clear :( , so I went to another local parts store and $3.24 later my two turn signal/running lights are fixed. Both accessible from under the hood. Two gray light housings just twist out , swap the bulbs, twist back in and its done!!!!

• 1 year later...

Light bulbs are available with "LL" suffixes, which means "long life", and are supposed to last longer than standard bulbs. For example, my '08 GX takes a 4157NA -- the long life version is 4157NALL. Who knows why anyone bothers with 2 grades of bulbs, other than one must be cheaper, and therefore what gets installed at the factory. I can't figure out why there are 50 varieties of indicator bulbs either -- it's like trying to buy toothpaste.

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread (and since joined the group). My driver's side front turn indicator died on me, so of course I look up the bulb, go buy one, remove the plastic to get at it - only to find that it's not the same bulb. Totally different base. The "book" says it's a amber 4157, but it's really a 1156 / 7507 type bulb. So now I have to go back in there again to replace it.

Lesson learned, "the book" isn't always correct. Well, at least I found this forum.

• 1 year later...

I just joined this forum as I purchased a used 2009 GX 470 last month. Glad to see that so many people are willing to take the time to share their questions and often times great solutions. I will be out buying my 1156A (Amber) this afternoon from my local auto parts store for $5.99 and will let you know how the installation goes soon.

So the book indicated I needed the 4157 as well:

13509.jpg

In actuality I needed the 1141 for the DRL/turn signal:

36377.jpg

Driver's side took me about 15 minutes - 5/bulb & 10 r&r plastic trim over radiator support.

I initially purchased the 4157 and was having a tough time finding the socket - even pulled the battery. Once I realized where the receptacle was it wasn't bad - can't see it without a mirror or pulling the battery.

2004 GX470.

Thanks!

O.K. Shame on me, and admittedly I did get confused. First and foremost I had not yet seen the reply to my original post from llebcire I ended up first purchasing the 4157NALL ($5.83 for two), but of course as soon as I got the bulb out (very easy, under the car, set a auto light on top of the ledge the front wheel fender creates)and removed in one simple reach and turn.)I did take me a minute to find out that I needed more than one hand to hold the socket and twist the bulb out, but I was able to get in to a position on the ground to extend both arms in to the space to hold and twist. I immediately saw the round base of the 1156, and panicked seeing the 2 filament flat base of the 4157 bulbs I had purchased. I went back to Advanced Auto were I purchased the 4157 and was told the 1156 bulbs had been discontinued (strange for cars that are still using them in 2009) and that I would need to go to the dealer. I didn't buy in to that and drove 2 miles down the road to Auto Zone were they had the Sylvannia 1156NALL (A- Amber, LL - Long Life) ($5.99 for two)and was pleased to slip right under the car, simple 1/4 turn to get the bulb back in the socket and simple 1/4 turn to get the socket back in to the lamp area. ANYONE can do this, please do not let the dealer rip you off by charging $12 + for one bulb and then a ridiculous 1/2 hour labor charge of $30 or more. P.S. as others have stated, apparently these bulbs burn out frequently. Learn to do this and save $$$$$. Good Luck. The Diesel

Hi llebcibre I think you are fine, as you are referring to the DRL, meaning "daytime running lamp" if I am following. The amber that I was using and referring to is for the turn signal only, which (I have only owned the car for a month) to the best of my recollection is separate from the DRL.

(i.e. you are fine, as I think the DRL is a white light?)

Diesel,

If memory serves me correctly, on my 04 the daytime running lamp & turn signal are the same bulb (white).

The lamp is solid as the drl & flashes as the signal during the day, then @ night it doesn't illuminate unless acting as the flasher.

I've noticed the same color in other GX470s locally so I would think the white bulb is oem & legal.

Thanks!

-Eric

Eric, Ahhhh that might be the potential difference perhaps between the '04 and the '09. The amber bulb is definitely OEM, interesting that yours is white, does that mean you have an amber lens? Many thanks, The Diesel

I just did a Google image search and it appears that the OEM bulb is amber as the reflector is clear.

So...my DRL's are white and I prefer the look cosmetically - but I would assume they won't pass DOT regulations.

I didn't think anything of it initially as the few GX470's that I've come across in IA have white DRL's.

-Eric