Tree Sap! Arugh

• 2 months later...

It's things like tree sap (and the all too familiar bird droppings) that keep me motivated to keep a fresh coat of protection on the paint (of course it looks killer that way too). Stuff comes off so much easier with a good coat of wax or sealant. I had tree sap and tar on my car last week and it came off with just a wash mit during my regular washing. Just required a bit extra rubbing.

J

• 3 months later...

googone will work fine also you can use a little bit of laquer thinner. make sure you rub lightly casue then you can put scratches in the paint. don't apply pressure when rubbing, let the chemical do the job. another thing don't let the sap stay on there long cause the paint could lift underneath the sap. you would know what i mean if you leave it on there for a long period of time. when you see sap or bird droppings on the paint remove it immediately. that can cause real bad damage to the paint.

I would shy away from lacquer thinner as it is much stronger than you probably need. Acrylic enamal reduced or paint thinner works fine. Gasoline will even work. Use all this stuff outside because doing it inside could be dangerous. Throw all the rags away after soaking them in water.

Tree sap, especially from pine trees, is bad. Left uncleaned it will eventually harden and eat it's way into your finish and you will never ever be able to remove it completely

Quote: Tree Sap

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Is very acidic (especially pine tree sap) it can sometimes be removed with a solvent type cleaner (Klasse AIO or 3Ms Solvent Cleaner) if not try to remove it with an abrasive polish (Meguire’s #83 DACP).

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*