1995 Es300 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen Sensor Replacement

I did this today it was my first time, so here is my howto.

The biggest problem I had was figuring out which one bank 1 sensor 1 is. Because there are a few oxygen sensor. So here it is, in red. It is on top of exhaust manifold in the back of engine by firewall.

img0004ef7.jpg

This would of helped me a lot, a representation of where it is.

locationzm0.png

For the tools just need a regular wrench and an oxygen sensor socket it looks like this

tools10.gif

I got it at pep boys for $13.99. But really you can just cut the wire on the old o2 sensor and use a regular socket, I didn't want to do that though.

Also by suggestion from here I got liquid wrench and sprayed it all over the o2 sensor and waited 30 minutes. I got it at home depot, there were few different kinds, I went with "Penetrating Oil" it is in yellow aerosol can. Costs about $2.99

How to take it out:

Some people said its easier from bottom but on bottom it looks like there are too many things in the way.

So I stood on driver's side and stuck my hand down there, easy to go underneath all the hoses, and there is enough room!

Then get good grip on the o2 sensor and pull on the wrench, pull towards you standing at driver's side. Mine wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and did not strip anything, when it let go I banged my hand but I didn't care I was happy.

After this it gets easy, disconnect the o2 sensor cord, just push on the tab and pull it.

Here is old o2 sensor, it looks gross, makes me want to change all other ones.

img0008zl3.jpg

Then tighten new o2 sensor in, I got mine from advance auto parts and it was $160.

It already had antiseize stuff on it, but if yours doesn't put some on.

img0007ii6.jpg

Then just click the cord in and thats it!!

I went to autozone and they reset my check engine light and it hasn't come back, I did everything right, I am pretty sure that is bank 1 sensor 1, it said so in the FSM!!

It only took about 20 minutes to do, I am sure at mechanic they would charge at least an hour because I think this is the hardest sensor to do. Can see me being happy that car starts up:

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/5527/img0011wh4.jpg

Couldn't of done this without lexusownersclub.com

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This is real helpful!! I'm trying to replace the same sensor on my 97 es300.

Though mine seized up pretty good I haven't had any luck on loosen it, so i'm gonna soak it with liquid wrench every night for a good week and try it again.

It is a really tight space on the top trying to get pass the hoses, I had to separately put the socket on the sensor 1st then click in the ratchet on the socket.

There's not too much room to maneuver around because your upper arm is restricted by the hoses, but my lower arm has enough room to do the job.

But hope it comes loose soon! But thank you for your instructions from 4 years ago!! :)

• 2 years later...

I did this today it was my first time, so here is my howto.

The biggest problem I had was figuring out which one bank 1 sensor 1 is. Because there are a few oxygen sensor. So here it is, in red. It is on top of exhaust manifold in the back of engine by firewall.

img0004ef7.jpg

This would of helped me a lot, a representation of where it is.

locationzm0.png

For the tools just need a regular wrench and an oxygen sensor socket it looks like this

tools10.gif

I got it at pep boys for $13.99. But really you can just cut the wire on the old o2 sensor and use a regular socket, I didn't want to do that though.

Also by suggestion from here I got liquid wrench and sprayed it all over the o2 sensor and waited 30 minutes. I got it at home depot, there were few different kinds, I went with "Penetrating Oil" it is in yellow aerosol can. Costs about $2.99

How to take it out:

Some people said its easier from bottom but on bottom it looks like there are too many things in the way.

So I stood on driver's side and stuck my hand down there, easy to go underneath all the hoses, and there is enough room!

Then get good grip on the o2 sensor and pull on the wrench, pull towards you standing at driver's side. Mine wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and did not strip anything, when it let go I banged my hand but I didn't care I was happy.

After this it gets easy, disconnect the o2 sensor cord, just push on the tab and pull it.

Here is old o2 sensor, it looks gross, makes me want to change all other ones.

img0008zl3.jpg

Then tighten new o2 sensor in, I got mine from advance auto parts and it was $160.

It already had antiseize stuff on it, but if yours doesn't put some on.

img0007ii6.jpg

Then just click the cord in and thats it!!

I went to autozone and they reset my check engine light and it hasn't come back, I did everything right, I am pretty sure that is bank 1 sensor 1, it said so in the FSM!!

It only took about 20 minutes to do, I am sure at mechanic they would charge at least an hour because I think this is the hardest sensor to do. Can see me being happy that car starts up:

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/5527/img0011wh4.jpg

Couldn't of done this without lexusownersclub.com

Thanks for sharing. Yep, took me about 15 minutes to decide if my hand would fit between all those hoses and pipes. I tried going under it, but it was truly impossible to get away from the frame bars and even more obstacles. One quick note; After you install, and hook it up. Unhook the ground on the battery for about 3-5 minutes, and the computer will reset and the light will go off.