Sc Blown Speakers

kev1

I'm new here, but need some advise. I have a 2002 SC430 and I think I blew the 2 side door mid-woofers. I think the only way to access the speakers is to remove the door panel. Does anyone know how to remove the door panel? I tried unsrewing all the screws I could find, so I can pull the bottom of the panel out a few inches, but it seems like there is something behind the arm rest keeping the door bolted on.

Also, does anyone know where to get some used speakers for the SC430?

Hi Kev1: Both of my bottom speakers went bad. I took it to the dealer. Had them do it. The speakers were expensive, and the labor didn't add up to that much, so that's the route I went. I went to some car audio places, but they couldn't get the speakers. Had to come from Lexus. Good Luck.

THere are 2 bolts below the arm rest. They need to be removed as well. I'm in the same predicament. The door handle will still be holding the panel on. I don't know how to get it off.

Where are the 2 bolts below the arm rest? I don't see them. I found the bolt that is behind the door handle. You have to pull the door handle into the open position then remove the plastic cover behind it. There is a bolt behind that cover. Hope that does the trick for you.

I'm an installer and i've done quite a few sc's including my own.

So here goes, the 2 bolts are underneath the armrest above the magazine pockets. They are your main support so your armrest doesn't rip off the door whenever you slam shut the door going into your car. The magazine pocket is that wide opening that is right below the armrest. You have to look upward at a 45 degree angle to see them. They are big screws that can be taken off with a 10 mm socket too. There is another screw right behind the door opener lever. There are a few screws that surround the whole door. There are 2 big screws on the door panel closest to the door hinges. Its best that you pop out your window switches off with a flat head screwdriver and unplug the unit. Carefully slide the door panel downward and outward.

Thanks everyone for the help! I did finally get the door panel off. It was the bolt behind the window switch control that I finally got to. I took the speaker out and examined the speakers. The foam portion was coming loose from the exterior rim, so I cleaned the rim where the foam detached from with rubbing alcohol, filled the area with silicone glue, and attached the foam back on the rim. I put the speaker back in and everything sounded fine. It took a little time and effort, but it was worth saving the $650 the Lexus dealership wanted to charge me.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone replaced the speakers in a 2002 sc430? Can you use aftermarket speakers, or is the system a 'proprietoriship system'. I've heard various comments about this issue. Some say it is like the Bose system; meaning it might be a .25 - 1 ohm load, in which case you would have to use Mark Levinson speakers. Others have said they are 4 ohm speakers, which would be easily replaceable. Also, does anyone know the exact size of the speakers?

I've talked to several high end stereo installation companies, and they almost all say the same thing. 'We have never worked on that car before.' One company told me they had to replace the entire system in the car, as they weren't able to just upgrade the speakers.

Has anyone replaced the speakers in a 2002 sc430? Can you use aftermarket speakers, or is the system a 'proprietoriship system'. I've heard various comments about this issue. Some say it is like the Bose system; meaning it might be a .25 - 1 ohm load, in which case you would have to use Mark Levinson speakers. Others have said they are 4 ohm speakers, which would be easily replaceable. Also, does anyone know the exact size of the speakers?

I've talked to several high end stereo installation companies, and they almost all say the same thing. 'We have never worked on that car before.' One company told me they had to replace the entire system in the car, as they weren't able to just upgrade the speakers.

lazyjones, Here is a link of a step by step process of speaker removal of a SC430. Post #2 show the speaker specs., looks like you will be able to use aftermarket speakers.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288367

Thanx a bunch!! That should be a HUGE help!

lazyjones, Here is a link of a step by step process of speaker removal of a SC430. Post #2 show the speaker specs., looks like you will be able to use aftermarket speakers.

• 8 months later...
Thanx a bunch!! That should be a HUGE help!

Thanks grnsc40095, I clicked on that link and it is a really helpful and easy to follow guide on exactly how to remove the panel to replace those speakers. Thanks! :cheers: