Starter 98 Gs300

For the people who had a mechanic change the starter on their GS, what did you guys pay for part and labor?

starter from autozone, pep boys etc. or from dealer?

What do you recommend?

thx

my mechanic rebuilt my original starter using oem parts from toyota (i think one of the pickups uses the same starter). so to remove/reinstall the starter, rebuild it, and parts... it was around $500-600cdn for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $20 for the 2 starter contacts and under $80 for the intake manifold gaskets. I spent a day taking everything apart and re-assembling. Worked like a charm. My one "oops" was I loosened the right hand fuel rail to give better access to the intake manifold bolts (don't do this if you can help it!), and I ended up having to replace my fuel injector o-rings for another ~$20.

I think the Lexus quote is $300 for the starter (I don't think they usually replace the contacts only) and 6-7 hrs at the going labor rate for your area.

The GS300 starter comes out from the bottom. There is no need to loosen anything but the transmission dipstick bracket bolt.

Lexus MSRP is $248.05 for a new starter and it takes about an hour for a GS300 to change it. The GS4X0 is a whole different story. It's much more involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

i was going to do the contacts (cus i heard that fixes the problem most of the time), but Leuxs had to order them. And then i found a factory by me that Remanufacutres Starters so i picked one up for $79(with 1 year warranty).

Easy install. For those who dont know, the starter is located on the driver side. If you look from under the hood it is right behind the Trasmission Dip Stick.

MAKE SURE TO UNHOOK THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU WORK ON THE STARTER!

Then you just (1) Undo one Electical Clip on the starter, (2) Undo a nut which holds the power Cable on the starter, (3) Undo the Two bolts which mounts the starter then it pops off.

To get more room undo the bolt which holds the transmission dip stick in place.

This is for the GS300 98-up

i was going to do the contacts (cus i heard that fixes the problem most of the time), but Leuxs had to order them. And then i found a factory by me that Remanufacutres Starters so i picked one up for $79(with 1 year warranty).

Easy install. For those who dont know, the starter is located on the driver side. If you look from under the hood it is right behind the Trasmission Dip Stick.

MAKE SURE TO UNHOOK THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU WORK ON THE STARTER!

Then you just (1) Undo one Electical Clip on the starter, (2) Undo a nut which holds the power Cable on the starter, (3) Undo the Two bolts which mounts the starter then it pops off.

To get more room undo the bolt which holds the transmission dip stick in place.

This is for the GS300 98-up

very good points! please do remember to take off the battery terminals whenever working on anything electrical. and yes, you can definitely save some money by installing your own starter especially on the gs300 very easy IMO.