Ok.. I love my IS... but I've found something that is driving me crazy....

THE PAINT!!!! :chairshot: This has to be the thinnest and weakest paint I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I noticed 3 scratches about 3' long on a curve.... at first I was thinking it was the towls I use to dry the car... but I would have noticed them a few days ago...

the front I can understand with the rock chips.. (6000 miles and I have 7 or 8 big chips).. but just regular wear and tear??

Anyone else having issues with paint?

THE PAINT!!!! :chairshot: This has to be the thinnest and weakest paint I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I noticed 3 scratches about 3' long on a curve.... at first I was thinking it was the towls I use to dry the car... but I would have noticed them a few days ago...

the front I can understand with the rock chips.. (6000 miles and I have 7 or 8 big chips).. but just regular wear and tear??

No. In fact, my husband, who does the waxing, has said it's better than BMW........maybe you just got a bad paint job???

Cherokee, what color is your car?? I'm just wondering if it's black.....

Get a clear bra to protect the front end then purchase a better than average wax like Meguires NXT .

Bought my first bottle of NXT a couple of weeks ago....it's the best stuff I've ever used! I love NXT!

You ain't seen nuttin yet till y'all try ZAINO!!!

It truly is da best stuff

(Sal was previously a paint guy and formulated a polish/wax to 'seal in" the wet look, & provide protection.

As a good friend of mine in the auto biz said:

ZAINO is like armour for your paint !!

Cherokee, what color is your car?? I'm just wondering if it's black.....

Yes mam... Black and shows every little scratch!! :( What ever happend to the good ole think clear coat they use to put on cars!???

they found out it was poison for the world...

when did lexus change to the environmentally friendly paint...on my 2002 is300, it had a million scratches and it looks like someone used one of those metal sponges and just went along on the paint when its in the sun...but then on my 2004 Rx, it looks flawless, maybe just 2 paint chips in the front...could it be that the higher end models get better paint?

• 4 months later...

I have had my IS for 2 weeks and already have paint chips on the hood. Is this usual for Lexus Paint?

I'm afraid so.. My IS hood looks worst then my '99 Mazda with over 100k...

Strange thing is... and even my detail shop keeps bringing this up... its the hood itself that seems to take the damage... The side mirrors are flawless... only chips in the whole care are on the hood itself...

I have had my IS for 2 weeks and already have paint chips on the hood. Is this usual for Lexus Paint?

Install a clear bra.

That shouldn't be the answer... When BMWs, MBs, Acuras and Infinities doesn't seem to have an issue... Thats according to a place that details all types of cars day in and day out...

I have found that most car paints are less resistant to chipping. This is due to how the paints are made (to meet environmental requirements). I have experience with high end makes like BMW, Acura, Volvo and Infiniti . I found BMW to be the worst and Acura the best in terms of resistance to road debris (paint chipping). A clear film, like from 3M, would be your best bet. However if you're leasing the car, a don't plan on keeping it beyond the lease term, don't bother with the clear film protection.

Regards,

Chris

Has anyone tried using those Touch up pens ? or would the Lexus touch up paint work better

I used the pen with my IS300. For me it was easier than the little brush, but took several coats to cover.

I just hate the fact that I have only had the car for 3 weeks and this is a problem already.

Get a clear bra to protect the front end then purchase a better than average wax like Meguires NXT .

how often do u guys wax your IS, just curious.

I have mine done about every 6 weeks...

If I ever plan on keeping a car for more then 2-3 years... I guess the clear bra would be a no brainer...

I've been looking at a lot of cars trying to find what I want as my next vehicle: Honda, Acura, VW, Audi, BMW, etc. and I've frequented forums specializing in the various makes(wih the exception of nissan and ifinity as i really don't think that either brand is well designed and worth the money; excepting nissan's 350z, which is not practical for me) and one of the biggest complaints, always with a thread with multiple pages, is that of the paint chipping too easily. My understanding is that the EPA passed regulations requiring the use of more eco friendly paints, that also happen to get chipped more easily and tend to be a lot thinner(I remember the paint on a 95 3000GT that I had was like armor on a tank ). Get a clear bra.

I've used Zaino on three different vehicles and it the longest lasting product I have ever used.

It also produces a great gloss. The procedure I use is to clay the paint, remove scratches and swirls with a Mequiars product and then Zaino. This produces exceptional results. I live in a cold climate (NW Ohio) so I rent space from a body shop for an afternoon in the winter months to get the car through. I have always been more than happy with Zaino's longevity. I plan on buying a PC 7424 this March to speed the process along and get even better results.