Navigation Error: Incorrect Program Disk

Guest Mountaindog

Guest Mountaindog

I just screwed up my navigation by accidentally hitting load "US-TAB" under LOAD section, of the "secret" menu...

Now the navigation appear to be inoperative and the is a message in English, but mostly

Japanese.

It reads(the English part), "Incorrect Program Disk, Please insert proper disk".

"Error; System unable to access the program"

Anyone know how to reset it ? Please help.

ah, that sucks. Im even afraid to change the date and time in that secret menu, for fear of messing it up. but...

Open your trunk, remove the carpeting and open the slot for hte CD disk (on the right side). I would take out the disc and put it back in, hopefully it resets itself?

Guest Mountaindog

Already tried all of the basic stuff, unhooking battery with/without disc, removing disc w/ ignition on/off.

No go, does not reset to anything, except the screen that tells me I screwed up in two languages...

i really am out of ideas, although you could try one more thing

turn it on and when you get the error (well first are there any buttons?, probably not), try the steps to get to the secret menu on that screen and see if anything pops up.

• 2 months later...

Here is the text from the above link to reset the nav. I cut and pasted it here incase the data is lost at the other site. This reset was done on the Prius but the Navs are very similar.

Howto to rest NAV.

WARNING: Attempt this at your own risk!!! I take no responsibility for misinterpretation of these instructions which may lead to permanent damage to your NAV ECU or yourself. However, since you got this far in "breaking" your NAV, you're probably brave enough to fix it too!

Steps:

Pull NAV ECU: Its located in the rear hatch.

Remove rear plastic cover.

Remove 4 8mm/philips screws, 2 on each side retaining ECU.

Remove 4 harness connectors.

Open NAV ECU, perform "fix":

Remove 8 screws from the bottom of the ECU.

Cover is held in place by 1 tab on each side that fits around a small bump on the top cover. Using a small flathead screwdriver, spread the cover at the bump. The ECU cover should then tilt up and come right off.

With the plugs at the front, the left board is the NAV logic, and the right appears to be the AVC-LAN interface and power supply. There is a ribbon cable separating the two. These boards should lift right out, as the cover screws are holding them in place.

At whichever location is easiest, lift the retaining clip at one end of the ribbon cable connecting the power supply board to the "logic" board, then gently pull the ribbon cable free. This effectively disconnects the battery backup from the ECU.

I also spotted a black momentary switch on the power supply board. This may also be a reset/backup power interrupt, however being a multi-layer board, I couldn't easily follow the traces to double-check. For safe measure, I press and held this for a few seconds as well.

Re-insert the ribbon cable, ensuring that it's aligned correctly. Push the retaining clip back down to secure the cable.

Replace the boards, ensuring that the boards fit onto the alignment tabs. The power supply board was a bit tricky here.

Replace the cover. I found that securing the screws over the power supply board first helped to keep it aligned as mine wanted to pop out of place.

Replace the ECU, reversing the steps of removal.

Power on. You'll see on the NAV screen: Loading application, do not power off.

I then saw the "Agree" screen. Success!

You'll need to restore all of your map points, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the cost of a new NAV unit or a dealer visit. Hope this helps anyone else who was unfortunate enough to see what "loading" did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guy;

I havea 2003 LX-470 and have the same issue and did remove the ECU unit pulled the ribbon wire and put it back in. No luck

The car was shipped overseas so there is no one that can fix it all

I get is the japenese screen. with Error;System unable to access the program

Can anyone help ?

I would appreciate it if anyone has a solution. I am really bumming :cries:

• 2 months later...

Did you find a solution?

Hi guy;

I havea 2003 LX-470 and have the same issue and did remove the ECU unit pulled the ribbon wire and put it back in. No luck

The car was shipped overseas so there is no one that can fix it all

I get is the japenese screen. with Error;System unable to access the program

Can anyone help ?

I would appreciate it if anyone has a solution. I am really bumming :cries:

• 3 months later...

Okay need to bring this topic back up cause it happen to my IS. Does anyone know where the wire is with the battery on the nav ecu? I've tried taking everything apart and there weren't barely any wires in there. Only one the the antenna, one for eject button and then one ribbon wire to the disc reader itself. If anyone can help please let me know. thankx

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a RX300 (2001) and the nav system started giving the disc read error. I opened the ECU as mentioned above. This is a slightly different system and I did not find the reset switch. I did undo the cable. When I reconnected, it did the system update and then back to disc error. Help.

Hello, I have a RX300 (2001) and the nav system started giving the disc read error. I opened the ECU as mentioned above. This is a slightly different system and I did not find the reset switch. I did undo the cable. When I reconnected, it did the system update and then back to disc error. Help.

The same thing happened to me. I took it to lexus today the said the NAV is F*****. $1600 to replace. I have looked everywhere for a rebuilt one but cant fine one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My unit is different.. It only has one board attached to the drive with a ribbon cable and no momentary switch.

I'm guessing a way to fix it is to feed it a Japanese NAV DVD and then choose US disk.

Searches for torrents don't show anything and there has to be a way to reset the darn thing.

My unit is different.. It only has one board attached to the drive with a ribbon cable and no momentary switch.

I'm guessing a way to fix it is to feed it a Japanese NAV DVD and then choose US disk.

Searches for torrents don't show anything and there has to be a way to reset the darn thing.

here's a page I threw together with a picture of the screen in Japanese.

http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.com/

here's a page I threw together with a picture of the screen in Japanese.

http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.com/

Latest update:

Inserted a disc with the LOADING.KWI file from a 4.1 upgrade DVD - no luck.

Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected the battery with the car outside so the GPS had a clear view of the sky. - no luck.

(this was suggested by a Lexus service manager -- He said when the system boots it determines the program to load by the satellites it sees -- sounds odd but I tried it anyways.

YES YES YES HALLELUJAH.....................

IT WORKED......I own a LAnd Cruiser 04 which is the same as the lexus.....i opened the ECU unit and unplugged the blue ribon from the electronic board(the one that has the yellow batter attached to it)

and sure enuff it worked.

Thank you for your post

Okay need to bring this topic back up cause it happen to my IS. Does anyone know where the wire is with the battery on the nav ecu? I've tried taking everything apart and there weren't barely any wires in there. Only one the the antenna, one for eject button and then one ribbon wire to the disc reader itself. If anyone can help please let me know. thankx

the batter is inside the ECU system...