How To: Change Transmission Filter & Pan Gasket

Remove all (18) 10mm bolts from the edges of the pan. It was kind of hard for me to get the pan off after I removed these screws because the old gasket material was sealing it. Once you break it free, just wiggle it until it comes loose from the upper portion of the dipstick tube. It looks like 1 tube but it actually comes apart...the other half is what you are able to see under the hood.

103_0364.jpg

Picture of pan removed (I circled where the portion that seperates from the transmission dipstick tube):

103_0365.jpg

Clean up the tranny pan and scrape off all the old gasket material. Take off the 4 magnets in the pan and wipe the metal shards off of them, then take some clean ATF fluid and wipe the insides of the pan. Install new gasket (or Form In Place Gasket) and reinstall pan...add ATF to appropriate levels.

103_0367.jpg

Torque specs : 65in.lbs

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 98 ES300. Everything looks the same as far as I can see. When I change the gasket and refill, how many quarts do I put back?.......4 or so?

Thanks.

Feel free to email: hoho223@yahoo.com

I have a 98 ES300. Everything looks the same as far as I can see. When I change the gasket and refill, how many quarts do I put back?.......4 or so?

Thanks.

Feel free to email: hoho223@yahoo.com

Depends. are you also drained the diff? I hope so. All in all, 4 qts (with diff) is more then you will need.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I have some leak in the oil pan and transmission are of the 92 LS400, and I am planning to replace the gaskets.

I have a question: Do I just buy the OEM gaskets from dealer or the aftermarket part will work?

... and do I need to use some kind of sealer or just the gasket would do it?

Thanks in advance,

hatbe

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...