Help!

LinuxFan

Well, the good news first -- knowing how we all get sometimes.

I got Sirius sattelite radio -- love it and say get it if you can, especially if you drive more than 25 minutes to work. I drive 35 minutes one way and going to and from work is the reward every single day.

View my installation: I think this is the best fit and requires no drilling, it uses existing screw behing air vent.

Here it is.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/LS/DSCF0012

and again:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/LS/DSCF0013

And now for the bad news......................................................................

My power steering "something" is leaking. I am adding fluid once a week and it leaks onto something hot so at stop light I see smoke from fluid buring off. It is embarrassing, to say the least.

Go here to see it leaking out of the black rubber thingie at the top of the steering thingie.

Here is one more that shows it on the rubber.

This is a more complete view that shows the leak. All the fluid is concentrated on that side of the vehicle. Nothing else is on the right side of the vehicle.

Hey, thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If you need more info -- ask, I am always here. :D

Linux,

on the first picture, there is a solenoid switch on the left side (were the red/white wires are connecting.

There is a screen underneath the switch: My bet is it is clogged and creating too much pressure on the hoses adjacent to it. Do a search on "Power Steering Solenoid Switch" or "PS Flush" or similar - it's here somewhere......

Procedure:

Disconnect the wires

Take a sharpie and mark a registration line across the nut & on the steering rack for positioning.

The Solenoid is connected by a thin nut, use either very thin channel lock pliers or just take a flat screwdriver or small chisel and "tap" the nut to loosen - then remove by hand.

Behind the solenoid will be the screen and a gasket, just be careful with it and remove. You'll loose 1/4 quart+ of PS fluid....a little messy, so be ready!

Clean the screen, replace, and tighten solenoid back to registration mark

Reconnect electrical

------------

Afterward add PS (dex III) to fill back up. It would be best if you did a PS flush (see threads above) with 4-5 quarts dex III, then cleaned the screen AGAIN! to remove all the crud (again).

Linux,

Let us know how that screen looks - if it's really clogged up.....

If so, its got to help. May not be a complete fix, it probably needs a real good flushing too. Afterward, it may require the new seals jzz mention

Good Luck!

Well, update follows.

I did the solenoid cleaning and yes -- it was filthy.

Here is an image of the solenoid screen. You can see the dirt.

Hey, thanks to the powers that be for the image resource -- it is a great asset to this community.

Here is a cleaned screen -- all shiney and new.

The hardest part about doing this work is the seperating of the electrical connectors. Be sure to do that first, or the wires will really get twisted as you unscrew the solenoid -- not a big deal really, but prevention is better than cure.

Well -- I hope this helps... I have to wait now and see if there is still fluid loss, but I am keeping my fingers crossed :)

Anyway, I cannot say it enough -- THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Now for part two: -- if anyone can find that power steering flush instruction for me and post it here, I would be really grateful. I did a search for power steering flush and all I get is my post -- HELP.

weird.....

Did I say thanks?

:cheers:

99LSguy always has helpful information. He should go into business repairing Lexus! :)

Thanks again 99 for all the help offer everyone.

As well as all of the others. This site has been very helpful to me, since I have owned my LS400.

99LSguy always has helpful information. He should go into business repairing Lexus! :)

Thanks again 99 for all the help offer everyone.

As well as all of the others. This site has been very helpful to me, since I have owned my LS400.

Hey 90LS, Thanks buddy - you help a ton too!!

I love working (well, really just the basic maintenance) on the LS. I figure if I mess up too much I can always take it to the dealer :lol:

It gives us all a sense of accomplishment, doing the job right, and lets us save a little $$ to spend on other things we enjoy. I've always looked at it like - the car's out of warranty anyway, so give it a shot!!!

I'd do OK if I worked @ Lexus... :lol: No detail left to chance B)

Seriously, thanks go to all of us who help each other out @ LOC. I've learned a ton from so many - you all know who you are!!!

• 1 year later...
Well, update follows.

I did the solenoid cleaning and yes -- it was filthy.

Here is an image of the solenoid screen. You can see the dirt.

Hey, thanks to the powers that be for the image resource -- it is a great asset to this community.

Here is a cleaned screen -- all shiney and new.

The hardest part about doing this work is the seperating of the electrical connectors. Be sure to do that first, or the wires will really get twisted as you unscrew the solenoid -- not a big deal really, but prevention is better than cure.

Well -- I hope this helps... I have to wait now and see if there is still fluid loss, but I am keeping my fingers crossed :)

Anyway, I cannot say it enough -- THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Now for part two: -- if anyone can find that power steering flush instruction for me and post it here, I would be really grateful. I did a search for power steering flush and all I get is my post -- HELP.

weird.....

Did I say thanks?

The screen can be removed by sliding out while turning, by hand, and with great care because it's very gragile.

While cleaning it using a SOFT tooth brush, I broke 1 of its "windows" myself!! So you know how fragile it is.