Looking To Buy 1992 Ls 400

mageson1

Am looking for 1992-1994 LS 400 for my wife. Have following questions: (1) Any big difference in quality or appearance between 1992, 1993, and 1994; (2) I have found a 1992 which looks pretty good here locally in S. California but the wheels are not original, and I would like to have OEM: where can I find them?, and (3) any leads on a good Lexus mechanic/shop in Orange County, CA?

Thanks!

1993-1994 are the same thing; there weren't changes in 94' since LS was about to get a new look in 1995.

So, basically its 1992 vs. 1993.

What's New for 1993:

Passenger airbag added. New alloy wheels debut. Brakes and tires are bigger. Tires are 225/60-16 with 16" wheels. Styling is touched up, and interiors receive a host of upgrades. CFC-free air conditioning replaces Freon-based unit.

As for the apperance, just look at the cars on ebay; to see the exterior & interior differences or even LOC gallery but in the gallery most of the car's don't have the model year with the pics.

Quality: The few things I have listed above for the "What's New for 1993" is the only difference. No difference in the quality or realibity. All the models are solid and well built.

You can put earlier models wheels on them. There are always some Lexus OEM wheels on ebay.

Good luck.

:cheers:

along the same lines as this topic, i have a 91 LS4 and i put a 98 LS4 chrome wheels on it - went from 15-inch to 225/60/16. i noticed a 5% decrease in the odo mileage.

1. should i add 5% on my speedometer to reflect accurate speed?

2. would this cause any problems? skimming wheel wells?

3. anyone looking for a set of 4 good-condition 1991 original wheels with 95% tread on the Yokohama YK420 P205/65/15?

along the same lines as this topic, i have a 91 LS4 and i put a 98 LS4 chrome wheels on it - went from 15-inch to 225/60/16. i noticed a 5% decrease in the odo mileage.

1. should i add 5% on my speedometer to reflect accurate speed?

2. would this cause any problems? skimming wheel wells?

3. anyone looking for a set of 4 good-condition 1991 original wheels with 95% tread on the Yokohama YK420 P205/65/15?

Is it Odo or Speedo that you're referring to with the 5% decrease?

If it's the Speedo, you can have that adjusted by a mechanic. Your Odometre shouldn't grow slower since it's miles it calculates not speed.

Am looking for 1992-1994 LS 400 for my wife. Have following questions: (1) Any big difference in quality or appearance between 1992, 1993, and 1994; (2) I have found a 1992 which looks pretty good here locally in S. California but the wheels are not original, and I would like to have OEM: where can I find them?, and (3) any leads on a good Lexus mechanic/shop in Orange County, CA?

Thanks!

Oh, there was a chassis change. any LS built after Jan or Feb(Guess) of 1994 was built on the F2 chassis (1995-1998). For an exact month, you could talk to the guys at Stillen in Costa Mesa.

I would recommend buying the Gen II car over the Gen I car, since there are more aftermarket parts available for them. Also the ride quality is better on the Gen II-IV cars.

This topic has been discussed at length by many members and the consensus seems to be the '93 and '94 LS400 are the pick of the litter. Presently I have a '92 LS400 and I'm waiting for the "right" (color/options) '93/'94 LS400 to come along.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a '94 LS that I've owned for 3 years. If I have my way, I'll drive this car until it rots out from underneath me. I lexus mechanic told me "do not sell that car".

When asked why, he told me it was one of the best cars Lexus ever built. I tend to agree with him from an ownership standpoint, yet few appreciate it's quality, so I'd never get it sold for what it's really worth. Just my 2 cents.

The only grudge I have against the earlier cars, like my 92, are the small brakes on the front. Otherwise, they are the same car really. A pal has a very nice 93, and like others, I have found that it handles a bit mushier than the 92. The stock wheel and tire package on the 93 is larger in diameter, and that probably has something to do with it.

I drove a 96 the other day, private sale. I should have bought it. Now THAT car is a different cat from the previous generations, and when I get another Lexus (anyone interested in a very clean 94 Camaro Z28....?) it will be a 95 or newer. Better seats, console, steering wheel, quieter, smoother - yikes!

I my self would have liked a newer version as my car is the series 1,like you all say i have the smaller brakes,they do seem to work and stop the car well,but i think they will overheat easier if pushed hard time after time.The bottom line for me when buying was the condition and history of the car,i did look at a 93 and 94 LS400 but found they needed alot of work done to bring them up to scratch.If i was to buy another LS 400 i would go for the series 4 with vvti,But my budget would not stretch to one at present...

Im very happy with my series 1,shes a 91 with 134000 miles on the clock,with only 2 owners...

Just make sure that the car has good service history and that the egr pipe which runs from the exhaust back up to the inlet manifold is not blowing,if you play someone else to replace it,it will cost you a arm and a leg,ive just changed mine my self,it took me 8 or 9 hours Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday to finish it off....

The worst job ive ever done on any car ive owned..Lexus quote 5 hours labour over here to replace it,tis a pig of a job....

Best of luck with purchase and hope to read some more posts on how you get on.

:cheers:

Chips

Hi mageson1!! :)

To add to the '92 vs '93 list that 93LSOwner came up with.. the '93 also added an 8-way power passenger seat [vs the previous year's 4-way] and a digital odometre/trip metre. [now within the gauge cluster] Also within the gauge cluster was added a digital outside temperature display. The O/D button on the shifter was moved [i think] from the side facing the rear seat to the side facing the driver. [if that makes sense] The '93 and '94 LS were always on my list of 'got to haves'. I love the original LS 'look' but wanted the 8-way power passenger seat, the bigger wheels and tires [not to mention bigger brakes] and the passenger side airbag.

Good luck!!

Craig!! :)

• 14 years later...

I own a 92 ls   with over 200k miles.....my daughter returned car to us after buying an audi...I don't want to keep  it has all original ....paint faded , leather cracked up , door/window controls are loose , right door opens from inside ...little or no dings...antenna doesn't rise/fall , suspension in need of shocks or control arms   etc etc

b4 I call the "we buy your car crowd"  wanted to locate anyone who loves these cars for restoral or whatever

Thank You

Paul